POLL: Holst - Suite #2 for Military Band - measure 1

The bulk of the musical talk

measure #1

Total votes: 0

Mark

Re: POLL: Holst - Suite #2 for Military Band - measure 1

Post by Mark »

You left out the obvious choice: tacet baritone sax, & contrabass clarinet. Since, these two instruments appear to be incapable of playing in tune.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

You might be surprised by my vote on this Joe, but I voted, "tacet baritone, baritone sax, & contrabass clarinet".

Let the tubas play this. It's in their comfort zone and the baritones might just 'muddy-it-up'... not to mention the barisax and contra clar. The dir. of our comm. band requested that just the tubas play this part. I have it on good authority that Dr. Brian Bowman at Univ. of North Texas has some of his freshmen euphonium students work on this lick for up to 2 weeks!
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

One tuba sounds like a good idea to me. I'm performing this tomorrow afternoon and don't have the vaguest idea what is actually going to happen. Probably everyone with cues will play it. We'll see soon enough.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:Have each person do a snap test on it and if doesn't sound like "Digga Digga Dut" with all the right notes, have them sit out.
The Revelli approach. (It doesn't matter that he's dead, we're still terrified of him.)
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

I'm comfortable with the first 5 notes as notated.
My problem is with the tuba accompaniment tune toward the end of the 4th movement. Our conductor is taking that movement at such a rapid pace that I can hardly move the pistons that fast and every practice the tempo seems to be faster. A little arithmetic shows that at the current pace those notes last only one or two of their periods. Psychoacoustic studies say that listeners can't distinguish pitch in that octave unless they hear at least 2-3 periods of a note. Somehow I don't think most conductors would be impressed by using that argument as a plea to take it a little slower.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote: bloke "Bill Revelli...I played two concerts under his baton... He was fun. We did what he asked; he didn't holler at us.
Me too. Both, in my case, at the Morehead Band Clinic in Kentucky. We did what he asked (because what choice did we have?) and he didn't holler at us either, as far as I remember. He was terrifying and not fun to my 17 & 18 year old self. But he did get the best out of us both times and I was proud to be part of it. Even now, having spent only two long weekends with him thirty-some years ago, I show up at band things in time to be ready to go 15 minutes before the announced time, because "Revelli time".
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

lowbrassmaniac wrote: lol yes, and the approach of my Retired Army trumpet playing conductor/band leader as well...where the "PP" tuba solo at the end of movement #2 that lands on the Pedal F "Volume was only a suggestion, I want you to play it crescendo into FF".
I got that too, or pretty close. It's not going to be FF, but MF anyway.
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:
Mark wrote:You left out the obvious choice: tacet baritone sax, & contrabass clarinet. Since, these two instruments appear to be incapable of playing in tune.
In this range, baritone horns sound like, "rugga-rugga-rugg".

Maybe I'm biased. This was the euphonium player sitting next to me the last time I played the Holst: http://www.dannyhelseth.net/.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

...and here I thought that Suite #1 was the one with the cluster-F intro... :roll:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:- There will be some fine euphoniums who are less likely to sound "great" (on the first five notes of the piece) playing fast down in the cellar as compared to one fine tuba player in the middle range.
- There just aren't that many single reed players who can double tongue very well, and contrabass clarinet players, often are those clarinetists who just aren't quite good enough to either play 6th-chair 3rd-clarinet part or 2nd-chair bass clarinet.
- Baritone saxophones sound buzzy - no matter what.
- There's a chance - if the band is good enough to tackle this work - that there is ONE tuba player who can play it clean, in time, and land on the c in tune.
Now we're getting to it. Some euphoniums, not that many single reed players, might be one tuba player ... in summary, the scoring you get out of the box is for an ideal band. You're looking for an adaptation for non-ideal band, and ideally that will depend on the band.

I think I have played this, but so long ago I don't even remember what instrument. Three impressions from quick survey of bands playing it on youtube:
- it always sounds like tubas, so either that's how everyone's doing it or the other instruments are at worst not causing much trouble
- it never sounds very good, scoring probably can't overcome a certain comic quality
- if you're going to do it solo tuba, better overplay it
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

Here is an idea. Maybe play the parts as Holst wrote them. Let the chips fall as they may. Live music.It is a wonderful thing.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

lost wrote:It's either too slow or too fast. For a conductor, the more people he/she includes should be proportional to the prep measures he/she gives.
Except in high calibre ensembles, it's amazing how the bass instruments can steal the tempo from a conductor before the ictus of the second beat (usually slower than the conductor intended).

Bloke suggested:
The suite ENDS with one tuba. START it with one tuba as well...
I agree.

lowbrassmaniac added:
Have each person do a snap test on it and if doesn't sound like "Digga Digga Dut" with all the right notes, have them sit out.
Indeed, these 5 notes have been one of the criteria for membership in certain bands/wind ensembles.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Mark

Post by Mark »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:Have each person do a snap test on it and if doesn't sound like "Digga Digga Dut" with all the right notes, have them sit out.
Or, have everyone play it with pedal tones.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

FWIW, this afternoon everyone who had the lick played it. It was not the worst thing that happened in the concert.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

"Digga Digga Dut"
Close.

https://youtu.be/Tx5mqdPdkG4" target="_blank
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

It's actually pretty easy on euphonium if you don't take the dynamic literally and stop trying to play it staccatisimo. Just nice and light and it speaks just fine. It's not like you have to play over anyone to be heard.

And the bit about the conductor is correct also.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:
58mark wrote:
lowbrassmaniac wrote:By asking for one tuba only and tacet the others including low woodwinds and Euphonium, does that violate the ink the composer wanted?

it's the conductor's job to make that call.it's not all about flapping your arms up on the podium
I'd love to print this quote out and leave it anonymously on my conductor's podium.
So, you agree it is the conductor's job to make the call on how faithfully the ensemble mirrors the printed material, yet spent four pages in another thread disputing the conductor's authority to make that call?

It's probably petty of me to cross threads like this, but I don't get to witness this level of cognitive dissonance very often.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Biggs wrote:

It's probably petty of me to cross threads like this, but I don't get to witness this level of cognitive dissonance very often.
That's why I come here!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.