Pedal Notes in Community Band

The bulk of the musical talk
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Pedal Notes in Community Band

Post by GC »

Our community band director and resident composer/arranger enjoy a good pedal occasionally and don't complain if we carefully add them. Some of our charts will occasionally have lines written down to pedal Bb.

Then again, the bass trombonist is often with us or below us.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:Well that settles it, I am cutting off my 4th valve. lol.
HEY!! I'm working this side of the street!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I don't do this often, but I guess I will be more careful about it in the future. Mark's suggestion about doing this only to provide depth in specific situations, is good advice.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

If the executor sounds like the Costa Concordia or the Oasis of the Seas hitting the rocks or leaving port, definitely no. Delicately articulated and executed, and judiciously applied, then maybe yes. Careful ongoing work with some 8vb Bordogni and the Snedecor Low Etudes has helped me toward the latter. Chronic offenders, even well executed, piss some people off even in the community band setting. Make it very occasional and a thing of beauty.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I'll just throw this out there since it hasn't been said yet...

Pedal notes thrown in just scream, well... :wink: ..."community band" and "amateur."

I'm not a fan. Play the ink.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

bloke wrote:
wow, Tom. :shock:
I always imagined you to be The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
:wink:
Oh sure...I could do that, you know...to add depth.

Lol...you just made my day there, bloke. :lol: :lol:
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Well duh, if it were musical he would not be complaining about it, huh? If he's complaining, it is not musical in his mind but disruptive.

I would never do anything, in a community band or for pay, that the conductor did not want. Seems to me to be basic courteous behavior.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Dude, hang up and listen.

Consider that your initial post could be rewritten as "I do something that annoys the director of a band I play in. He told me to stop, but I should ignore him and keep doing it, right?" without changing the question. The replies you've received don't seem so surprising, but your insistence on getting a pat on the back for, at best, substituting your minority-view artistic judgment for that of conductors and composers and, at worst, being deliberately disruptive and detrimental to the ensemble, is mystifying.

If you want to keep 8vb-ing, you don't need the permission or approval of anyone here, so it seems silly to try to hector everyone into going along with your decision based on some unwritten tuba-code that doesn't seem to be as universal as you'd hoped.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

MaryAnn wrote:Well duh, if it were musical he would not be complaining about it, huh? If he's complaining, it is not musical in his mind but disruptive.

It's also not impossible that other members of the ensemble have complained to the conductor. It may not be just the conductor who is offended.
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaSteve »

Piling on here......The point that so many are trying to make is that it is about respect to the conductor. Without respect of the authority that he or she represents, then you are just a gaggle and not an ensemble.

After reading some of the replies by members who I hold in very high regard, it is with some :oops: that I will admit that we will on occasion have someone play a low G, F, or Eb, while someone stays on the main note. Anything below that is rarely anywhere near in tune, and beyond most players ability anyway. I am sure many of you have experienced when the director has asked for someone to please go low. My apologies to Dan Shultz, but we will sometimes split the note with one up, but we would never do this if the conductor asked us not to do so. In one of the bands I play in, one of our fellow tuba players is an outstanding arranger/composer and an amazing talent. (I am sure many of you know him.) I rarely would stray from his recommendations and he is one of the ones who will join or ask us to partake in these "color" moments. Even so, if I was asked by the director to not do so, I would surely play it as directed.

Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Before taking on Captain Queeg, make sure you have a more committed witness than Lt Keefer!!

:tuba:

"All things in moderation"
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Community band or not, if the director says don't and you do anyway, you're begging for ejection.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I reject your reality and I substitute my own.