Tuba Stand

Post by cddtuba »

Hello,
Any suggestions on what stand to buy?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Tuba Stand

Post by Michael Bush »

The BBC is a good stand, very stable and well made.

I prefer the DEG, myself, because the way it is made allows you to replace the bolt with a bicycle quick release seat bolt, and that makes adjustment easier.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

This looks interesting to me due to the wide variance in height adjustment and ability to set it as low as 15".

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76877" target="_blank
Andy
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

The BBC Stand is quite nice, and has metal components as opposed to some plastic as in the K&M stand. It was very sturdy and worked well when I tried one out down there.

Now If only I could convince the tubist in my orchestra to get one so he stops almost hitting me with his horn when it slips off the corner of his chair.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Be sure you get one that will go low enough....I had to get the "youth" version to get my bow a few inches below the chair.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

The only really good thing I found with the K&M was the ability to cut that inch or so. Of course, the fact that many users need to do so tells you something about their design. I found the DEG and the Hercules to be poor by comparison with either the K&M and the BB.
I was happy, though, to go to the BB stand. My lead pipe is pretty high, making it necessary to keep the stand low and the BB does just fine. There are also the other 2 problems with the K&M: the legs are a constant trip hazard for the player [and anyone walking by] and the fact that it weighs twice that of the BB. Mine is used every day for over 10 years and the only problem was that it needed a new tightening knob this year, which Dave gave me at the Army Conference.
Bearin' up!
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

KiltieTuba wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Be sure you get one that will go low enough....I had to get the "youth" version to get my bow a few inches below the chair.
I have the K&M youth version, too. Though the instrument is still a bit high up, I'm probably going to cut it an inch or two.
I let the bottom tube rest on the floor. That takes it low enough for me in my standard practice chair.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Michael Bush wrote: I prefer the DEG, myself, because the way it is made allows you to replace the bolt with a bicycle quick release seat bolt, and that makes adjustment easier.
I had an emailed question about how this works. Here's a picture.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

I also modified my DEG tuba stand with this bicycle part. I don't think that the part is actually for seat quick releases but to be able to remove the front tire. My local bike shop had trouble understanding what I wanted until I showed them the picture of someone else's modded stand then they immediately went back to grab the part.

One bad thing is over tightening can cause the plastic to warp and eventually crack. I am trying to get just that top part to replace rather than the whole stand. I'll post my result afterwards.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb