Cool Review Video of Wessex products

The bulk of the musical talk
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Cool Review Video of Wessex products

Post by Heliconer »

Found this on YouTube, and of course it is all one person's opinion, but I thought everything was well presented, and got me very excited about the Wessex Festivo Euphonium. There are pros and cons on several models, but it may be helpful to those who are curious about their products.

https://youtu.be/YBiWMLspe60" target="_blank
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Re: Cool Review Video of Wessex products

Post by Uncle Markie »

Very nicely done - by a guy who obviously plays his butt off. The Festivo euphonium looks like a good idea - the ergonomics of the Conn Connstellation but built to the bore and scale of a what we regard as a "modern" euphonium with compensation. It appears as though the 4th valve is set up for the left hand - I suppose this reflects a couple of generations of euphonium players that have come up on the Besson configuration. It sure looks like it is out of reach of the right hand pinky finger.

Everything old is new again - all the old euphonium pioneers - Mantia, Perfetto, Falcone, etc. played front action valves. This persisted until Harold Brasch got everyone playing Bessons.

I would think the front action set-up accommodates more body types than top action. Wessex may have something here. Interesting to note that while the Connstellation is gone today, King still sells their 4-valve front action baritone horn. It wouldn't be in production if enough players didn't prefer that type. As to "sound" - that begins and ends with the player for the most part. As Robert King defined it - "a euphonium is a baritone horn well-played".

I own and play both types on tuba; each has its advantages.

Heter
Last edited by Uncle Markie on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.