Ideal mouthpiece for Miraphone Bel Canto?

The bulk of the musical talk
FatCat
bugler
bugler

Ideal mouthpiece for Miraphone Bel Canto?

Post by FatCat »

I'm new to playing F Tuba, and am not hugely knowledgable on F Tuba mouthpieces. Thus, I would like to ask the Tubebnet community about their experiences with mouthpieces on Miraphone Bel Cantos; and mouthpieces in general for F Tuba.

I understand that one's choice of mouthpiece is very personal, and that the "ideal" mouthpiece will vary from person to person. However, I'm just trying to gain the general thoughts of the community.

So far I've tried a TU-23 and a PT-84 (I'm aware that these are not designed for F Tuba). I also have a Helleberg 7B, but I haven't tried it out on my Bel Canto yet. Thoughts?
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Ideal mouthpiece for Miraphone Bel Canto?

Post by DouglasJB »

I personally like a PT65. I think it works very well for F tubas.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Along with the PT65 is the newer RT(Robert Tucci)64. I've just recently purchased one several weeks ago and have been giving it a go in rehearsals and practice time. I find it extremely fine, comfortable and most of all it offers a rather rich warmth that might be attributed to both the volume of the cup and the balancing of a carefully designed throat and back bore. No probelm at all in the orchestral high register and the bottom is as big as you would ever need. I have hung on to this piece much longer than most and it will likely become my 'go to' mp. The other with which I have had really good success is the Monette 94F, which is totally a different design and concept, but yet is a remarkable MP. The Monette may be considered a bit more muscular in its approach.That is certainly not a liability, only a different type of sound. I've tried both of these on the Miraphone and both seemed to work very well.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Blokepiece.

There are many options available to configure one to your liking. You can search and read about them here or give Joe ("bloke") a call and tell him about your tuba and what you're looking for in your new F tuba mouthpiece. He will likely have a suggestion for you. I believe he offers a trial and return period, too, so you can check out combinations until you find what you like.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Post by rudysan »

I think the TU23 you already have is a very good F tuba mouthpiece. It is the one that comes with the Firebird, which is quite similar to the Bel Canto.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

I use a PT-64 on my Firebird, which is a pretty similar horn.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Michael, you sounded amazing on your recital too
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I like the Miraphone TU27 Rose Solo model.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson