Miraphone Bell Kranz

The bulk of the musical talk
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Miraphone Bell Kranz

Post by Billy M. »

So a few years ago I owned a really delightful Miraphone 188 made in the 80s which had a prominent and rather nice bell kranz.

I've seen a few 188s up for sale recently that are newer models. The thing I distinctively notice on them is the bell kranz is MUCH smaller and certainly less detailed.

Does anyone know why they have gone that route?
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Miraphone Bell Kranz

Post by arpthark »

My guess: manufacturing processes changing and $$$
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Not only have they modified the kranz... the newer bells are a bit larger and some of the student models have no kranz at all.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I believe that the newer thin kranz is more decorative than it is functional. That is, a proper (wide) kranz is there to strengthen the thin metal at the edge of a bell without the bead wire (or whatever it is called). The newer Miraphones have a bead wire, and a kranz... So its there more for show than anything. Yes, it adds a little bit of mass at the bell, but the effect of that is hard to determine. Some people claim it helps keep the sound from breaking up so easily...but that seems like itd make about a 2% difference to me. The 1291 does not have a kranz, the 1292 does. I generally like the 1292 better, but that surely isn't entirely due to the kranz. (And as a certain bloke pointed out to me long ago, the 1292 has a kranz because the designer (AB) wanted a kranz... Simple as that)

Two other thoughts:
-- I agree, the wide kranz is cooler than the narrow one
-- any kranz looks cool on a lacquer tuba, but not on a silver tuba

Oh, and you are making me think back to my 188, and why on earth did I ever sell it? :oops: :)