Lots of Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

This is a nice sounding group, judging from the short clips on their main web page. They have CDs available. I don't read German - Is this also a band of the Austrian armed forces?
OldBandsman
bugler
bugler

Post by OldBandsman »

Helicons! Oh Yeah!

Look how far out the first guy in the picture has his first valve slide. Correction for a sharp Ab.

That's gonna be me come the Memorial Day parade here... my first parade in 30 years ... I'm gonna take my Cerveny helicon.. pull the slide... fill the road with big sound!

:lol:
Benjamin
bugler
bugler

Post by Benjamin »

I seen a band with 17 Tuba one time. Of course there were like 600 people in it.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Brian Bowman is God wrote:The sound is pretty washed out in that ensemble though....it sounds good on songs that require a loud Tuba section, but on most stuff it all sounds very bottom heavy.

The whole deal with the Tuba section dominating the entire band is kind of awesome (And quite funny) to be perfectly honest with you....even though it sounds pretty bad :wink:.
This is where the whole "restraint" thing comes in. With a large tuba section in a small ensemble, how soft you can play is frequently more important than how loud you can play. Sometimes you can "scale" the dynamics from what an optimum-sized section would be playing to the actual section size ... for instance, if a good section size would be 6 tubas (a.k.a. a "six-pack" :wink: ) for a 100-piece ensemble, scaling that to 55 would give you 3.3 tubas (roughly, between 3 and 4), so if each player plays about half as loud as the dynamics indicate, you'll have a good starting point (it's not perfect -- nothing is -- but it'll get you in the ballpark). :)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
fpoon
bugler
bugler

Post by fpoon »

Regarding big *** marching bands, FSU is indeed big, but I think Texas A&M is bigger. I wanna say 450? And they march 40ish tubas. Any Aggies on here have the actual numbers?

FSU maybe like 400?

I know I march in a group of 330 here at Virginia Tech, and you can hardly hear our 20 tubas at times. And we play LOUD.

Again, goes to show that you can NEVER have enough tubas.
punk_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by punk_tuba »

the uconn marching band has about 20 sousaphones in it
sinfonian
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sinfonian »

The rule of thumb that always comes to my mind (I think I heard it back in HS) is 1 tuba for every 12 players in the band. What maes me think this is about right is that if you look at the large sympony orchestra they usually have about 110 players with 9 to 10 string basses (or about 1 to 12).
David C. Ellis
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia-Alpha Lambda Chapter
Crystal Lake Concert Band
Northwest Symphony Orchestra
Woodstock City Band
McHenry County College Band
Wessex TE665 "Tubby" Eb
Kanstul 90S CC For Sale
MiraFone 183 Eb For Sale
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

sinfonian wrote:if you look at the large sympony orchestra they usually have about 110 players with 9 to 10 string basses
... and they only need ONE tuba...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

In the grand old days of the All Ohio State Fair Band we marched with 24 Sousaphones in about a three hundred piece group. The band has since shrunk due to budget cuts and lack of interest unfortunately. It was a lot of fun. Them basses was always a great time. If I can get my pictures scanned in I will post them.
Conn 36K with Mike Finn "H"
ufoneum
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ufoneum »

Who cares about the tubas, check out the euphoniums in front of them! :?
Assistant Prof. of Music - Kentucky Wesleyan College (Owensboro, KY)
Buffet Crampon and Besson Performing Artist
Conductor, River Brass Band (Evansville, IN)
Treasurer, International Tuba Euphonium Association
facebook.com/stuckemeyer
patstuckemeyer.com
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

ufoneum wrote:Who cares about the tubas, check out the euphoniums in front of them! :?
You mean the baritones :!: :?: :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?