Detachable bell Mirafone

The bulk of the musical talk
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

That is a Miraphone 186. At one time they were made with detachable bells so you could have a recording or upright bell. I think was a great price if it doesn't need too much work. Enjoy.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Here are specs on the current version.

http://www.wwbw.com/Miraphone-186-Serie ... .music?t=1

I know that they have changed the bell size on these, but I don't think the other specs have changed significantly.
DHMTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by DHMTuba »

Does the horn have three piston valves or four rotary valves?
If it has four rotaries it's probably a 186, and $650 sounds like a steal unless it's a basket case.
In high school I played a three-piston Mirafone that had a detachable front-facing bell. As I recall it was an entry-level kind of instrument, sort of like a Yamaha 103 or one of those Cuesnons. $650 sounds closer to a reasonable price for something like that in decent playable condition.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

DHMTuba wrote:Does the horn have three piston valves or four rotary valves?
If it has four rotaries it's probably a 186, and $650 sounds like a steal unless it's a basket case.
In high school I played a three-piston Mirafone that had a detachable front-facing bell. As I recall it was an entry-level kind of instrument, sort of like a Yamaha 103 or one of those Cuesnons. $650 sounds closer to a reasonable price for something like that in decent playable condition.
Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Definitely a 186.
DHMTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by DHMTuba »

Hi Lew, thanks for the link.
I agree on both counts, it's a 186 and that's a great price. That's why I was curious if it was the other horn I mentioned instead of a 186. I couldn't tell from the original post.
Thanks for setting it straight.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I don't ever think I've seen a factory-made removable upright bell for a 186. My suspicion is that, just like the recording-bell Bessons, these bells were not made to be interchangeable, but rather offered a way to remove the bell for transportation.

So you're not likely to find anyone with a spare bell flange wandering around. Your options for an upright bell are to sacrifice the recording bell and fit the flange with an upright bell scavenged from somewhere. Or you can simply scrap the entire bell stack down to the bottom bow and install a regular 186 bell (recommended).

Either way, it's a pretty good deal for the money, even with the layout for a new bell.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Good 'ol Google. I typed in "miraphone recording bell" and found an MSN group called sousaphone and tuba central. In the pictures section is a miraphone with recording bell. They're out there! I believe Tommy Johnson once did an advertizing pic for Miraphone with this model 186 (with upright bell however). If your dad makes great bells, go for it. Still. look around first.