Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question

The bulk of the musical talk
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question

Post by Worth »

Conn 2J, suspect early 70s maybe made by Olds but not sure. When I got it it had this gold colored crap flaking off it that was getting my clothes. I asked a local tech about refinishing and or polishing and he told me basically to go deal with it myself as it most likely wouldn't be worth the expense, disassembly, etc. Figured I'd tackle the bell, so used everything imaginable, including strippers and W/D Sandpaper, and nothing would get this stuff off. Without proper shop equipment I resorted to a wire polishing wheel from Home Depot in my home drill and, even with that, it took major elbow grease to cut this stuff. Now I'm wondering with the internal silver color of the bell, if the bell is Silver maybe, and or how to proceed with what I have at home for the remainder of the bell (which I'm going to limit my efforts to). Currently at 2000 grit W/D Paper. Thanks for any suggestions.
ImageImage
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question

Post by arpthark »

I know the inside of the bell of these is nickel-plated. Not sure about the material or the rest.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Thanks for the ideas, more to work on on my next day off. Also, in my inexperience, maybe it's raw brass I'm looking at. Now that I look closer, seems so. Proper bell roll out in the future and some 4th valve slide surgery that I can get done locally in the future. Valve compression, action and guides are decent. Fun 3/4 with some punch.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Tampaworth wrote:Also, in my inexperience, maybe it's raw brass I'm looking at. Now that I look closer, seems so.
Yes!

I think you can call that a 7/8 tuba if you like.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

raw brass is quite light. Some makers use a little bit of tint in their lacquer to make their horns look more yellow, such as what Yamaha does. Kanstul does not, so their horns can look "pale".
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Eastlake orange?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49828" target="_blank
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".