Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question

Postby Tampaworth » Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 am

Conn 2J, suspect early 70s maybe made by Olds but not sure. When I got it it had this gold colored crap flaking off it that was getting my clothes. I asked a local tech about refinishing and or polishing and he told me basically to go deal with it myself as it most likely wouldn't be worth the expense, disassembly, etc. Figured I'd tackle the bell, so used everything imaginable, including strippers and W/D Sandpaper, and nothing would get this stuff off. Without proper shop equipment I resorted to a wire polishing wheel from Home Depot in my home drill and, even with that, it took major elbow grease to cut this stuff. Now I'm wondering with the internal silver color of the bell, if the bell is Silver maybe, and or how to proceed with what I have at home for the remainder of the bell (which I'm going to limit my efforts to). Currently at 2000 grit W/D Paper. Thanks for any suggestions.
ImageImage
2014 Wisemann 900 / 2013 Mack 410 / 1970? Conn 2j / 1909 King H.N. White Helicon
Tampaworth
bugler
bugler

Re: Conn 2J Bell Material and Metal Finishing Question

Postby arpthark » Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 am

I know the inside of the bell of these is nickel-plated. Not sure about the material or the rest.
Blake
Gnagey Holton/King CC
Schiller compensating Eb
arpthark
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 am

Typically...

If heavy-bodied paint stripper won't strip it, heavy-duty oven cleaner will.

Don't hold me responsible for whatever happens if you decide to use either.

One of the most reasonably-priced dent removal/refinish shops I've seen is Borodi Music near Cleveland, Ohio.

I have not seen any of their work firsthand.

Some believe those tubas were made in Abilene, TX, and some believe they were made in Fullerton, CA.

The basic parts interchange perfectly with Olds O-99 and Reynolds TB-10 BBb tuba parts.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tampaworth » Wed May 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the ideas, more to work on on my next day off. Also, in my inexperience, maybe it's raw brass I'm looking at. Now that I look closer, seems so. Proper bell roll out in the future and some 4th valve slide surgery that I can get done locally in the future. Valve compression, action and guides are decent. Fun 3/4 with some punch.
2014 Wisemann 900 / 2013 Mack 410 / 1970? Conn 2j / 1909 King H.N. White Helicon
Tampaworth
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Tampaworth wrote:Also, in my inexperience, maybe it's raw brass I'm looking at. Now that I look closer, seems so.

Yes!

I think you can call that a 7/8 tuba if you like.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm

raw brass is quite light. Some makers use a little bit of tint in their lacquer to make their horns look more yellow, such as what Yamaha does. Kanstul does not, so their horns can look "pale".
tbonesullivan
bugler
bugler

Postby roweenie » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet