17%
Small bass tuba
13%
Large bass tuba
34%

Total votes : 96

Re: POLL: personal preference for brass quintet tuba

Postby Rick F » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm

I vote for what ever Sam Pilafian played with the Empire Brass and Boston Brass. Maybe Yamaha 621? He's always been my favorite in small ensembles.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)

Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Postby THE TUBA » Sat May 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Rick F wrote:I vote for what ever Sam Pilafian played with the Empire Brass and Boston Brass. Maybe Yamaha 621? He's always been my favorite in small ensembles.

IIRC, Pilafian used a MW 2145 for a couple of the old Empire Brass CDs. At least that's what he's holding in the pictures.
[/post]
THE TUBA
4 valves
4 valves

Postby 58mark » Sat May 13, 2017 8:54 pm

I think he's on a 621 now with Boston brass
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I've never met Mr. Pilafian, though I sat about eight feet away from him during a "the primo personnel era" Empire Brass Quintet recital.

He used a 621 when I heard him.
He played really great...I didn't like the sound of the tuba.
The recordings of him (whether live or studio) playing his old William Bell Model sound amazing.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Steginkt » Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Most of my live listening and my own playing of quintets happens tp be on the Willson 3400, so thats my vote. Fine in the low range, lovely in the airy acrobatic range. Might need a lower mouthpiece to play some lower parts, but never had a problem so far.
Bach 50BG Greenhoe
Willson 3400 FA-5
1917 Leon & Healy Sousaphone
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Postby michael_glenn » Sun May 14, 2017 12:58 am

I've heard people play on small CC's. Some have sounded great, others not so much. I've heard some people play on large CC's. Some sounded awesome. Some not so much. I've heard people play on big and small F tubas, large and small Eb tubas. Some sounded great and others didn't. It's not the horn. A good player will make the equipment do what needs done.
Michael Ebie
B&S PT-6 CC
Miraphone Firebird F
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby tofu » Sun May 14, 2017 1:55 am

bloke wrote:... so though all of my posts in this thread have been off topic, the bicycle worked! It's funny how cops will force golf carts and cars and everything else to wait in line, but they will not stop bicycles. I made it to the venue with plenty of time to spare, even though I had to get off of the highway one exit too far, because the correct exit was hopelessly blocked with carloads of parents and grandparents.

Should of just used your old Besson bell-front and strapped it on your back.

We always use bikes for crazy traffic stuff like fireworks/parades/graduations etc. - the cops always way you through and you get in and out super fast.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 am

Even funnier, I'm not exactly svelte, and was wearing a suit.

Over-and-over (when passing non-moving cars with open windows and golf cars loaded down with "people who rated golf cart rides") I was hearing, "That guy's smart".

I dunno how "smart" I was, but it was the only solution I was able to come up with for
- leaving the Memphis riverfront at 12:07
- arriving inside Ole Miss' "Pavilion" basketball arena by 1:45, as (via 20,000 people attempting to leave the campus - as one sciences-related commencement had just ended, and 20,000 more entering the campus for a liberal arts-related commencement which was about to start) the entire campus was one gigantic traffic jam. (Even the dean, who was in charge of the ceremony I was playing for, wasn't able to get to the arena until well after the start time, so it started late, and we played several more pieces of incidental music than we had planned to play... Going all the way through the temporarily-put-together folder to the very last tune that had been snagged by the trumpet player - out of Ole Miss' quintet literature library, we actually played (a very good arrangement of) "Gotta Get You Into My Life" (Lennon/McCartney) .

bloke

Postby cjk » Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I'd use which ever tuba I owned which I was the most comfortable with and which was the easiest to play in tune. For me, this would by my "old shoes" Rudolf Meinl 4345 piston CC tuba. My Yamaha 631 Eb tuba would be a very good choice, but I'm not nearly as comfortable with it.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun May 14, 2017 10:36 pm

bloke wrote:I've never met Mr. Pilafian, though I sat about eight feet away from him during a "the primo personnel era" Empire Brass Quintet recital.

The recordings of him (whether live or studio) playing his old William Bell Model sound amazing.

That was my old 621. After playing it for 15 years I finally sold it. Great tuba, far better than most of those 621 horns. And yes, I was always disappointed in the tome. However, *everyone* else loved it. They do not pay me to have fun or even attain any enjoyment from my work. They pay me to make music that people will pay to hear. So I kept it because I could not afford what I wanted.
Photobucket blows. You have been updated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby 58mark » Sun May 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Reminds me of something I said earlier.
58mark wrote:
That's what go me thinking of Canadian Brass and the small CC with that has less broad essential to the tone, but more of a punchy bite. It may not sound great by itself, but it might be the best blend for the rest of the ensemble

Maybe a horn doesn't sound great by itself, but it's the right sound for the group. That little model has been used in some amazing quintets
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Mon May 15, 2017 9:12 am

the elephant wrote:
bloke wrote:I've never met Mr. Pilafian, though I sat about eight feet away from him during a "the primo personnel era" Empire Brass Quintet recital.

That was my old 621. After playing it for 15 years I finally sold it. Great tuba, far better than most of those 621 horns. And yes, I was always disappointed in the tome. However, *everyone* else loved it. They do not pay me to have fun or even attain any enjoyment from my work. They pay me to make music that people will pay to hear. So I kept it because I could not afford what I wanted.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but - rather - offering you more credit that you offer to yourself.
I contend that those tubas are remarkably consistent, and a player makes of them what they can.
Both you and Mr. Pilafian, I'm certain, were able to obtain the maximum available results from that instrument.
bloke

Postby hrender » Mon May 15, 2017 2:32 pm

THIS:
bloke wrote:The recordings of him (whether live or studio) playing his old William Bell Model sound amazing.
hal.
hrender
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Tubajug » Wed May 17, 2017 9:13 am

So Mark, which of your horns do you use? Your "Prague" or your little Eb?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Lyon & Healy Eb
H.N. White King Eb
Conn 12J

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby 58mark » Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 am

Since i got the prague I've been using it, but I think I'm going to work in the Eb and see how that goes.

I'm also Looking for a larger Eb, or maybe a Yamaha 621 clone. The only reason I regret selling my piggy was I considered it the perfect quintet horn.
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I can't seem to get it done, but when my Buescher CC project is finished (same bugle contour as the 1920's Buescher helicon/sousaphone, but in the shape of a concert tuba), I plan to use it a good bit in quintet playing. It's roughly 188 size, but the (4-pistons/front-action) bore size is only .728"

I guess it's also roughly comparable to an Italian-made Daryl Smith or a German-made 2155/2000 in size.
bloke

Postby tuben » Wed May 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Rick F wrote:I vote for what ever Sam Pilafian played with the Empire Brass and Boston Brass. Maybe Yamaha 621? He's always been my favorite in small ensembles.

That would have been this Meinl-Weston MW37 model 'Bill Bell' currently on hold at Baltimore Brass. It is a twin to mine, save the S-links.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/picture.php?table=Instruments&id=2385
tuben
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot

Postby bloke » Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 pm

tuben wrote:

That would have been this Meinl-Weston MW37 model 'Bill Bell' currently on hold at Baltimore Brass. It is a twin to mine, save the S-links.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/picture.php?table=Instruments&id=2385

Someone please comment on / explain the early-early Bell Model upper-slide-switching system.
I bought/sold one of them a long time ago, figured out what "the deal" was, but have since forgotten...

...Way back in the VERY early 70's, I even had the original brochure (displaying a color picture of a shockingly-old/shriveled Bill Bell on the front) talking all about the tuba and the switchable slides but (yeah...again) I have forgotten.
bloke

Postby 58mark » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby pauvog1 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:37 am

I have a slight preference for my F tuba in quintet, but depending on music I may use my 4/4 CC instead.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet