Bass Trumpet substitue

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Bass Trumpet substitue

Post by imperialbari »

As I remember 40 or 45 years back, Getzen made two bass trumpets. I am not sure I ever tried the 900-series model, but I remember trying the 300-series model, which was absolutely useless because of bad intonation. As I remember it, the 4th partial Bb was way flat, so that I gave up on further testing.

Klaus
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I owned a used rotary Chinese bass trumpet years ago (victim of my purge along with my contrabass trumpet, contrabass trombone, and 4 valve Conn Giant Eb) that played just fine. It was a bit of a pain to hold, I had an Olds marching trombone that was a lot easier to hold.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Bob Kolada wrote:I owned a used rotary Chinese bass trumpet years ago (victim of my purge along with my contrabass trumpet, contrabass trombone, and 4 valve Conn Giant Eb) that played just fine. It was a bit of a pain to hold, I had an Olds marching trombone that was a lot easier to hold.
Probably because you avoided the traditional German handgrip on forward facing brasses as seen in this wonderful video with trumpets, bass trumpet, and Wagner Tuben:

https://youtu.be/nkOiKy6sXfM

I don’t know whether my personal grib (that avoids touching the bell) would work on a 4 valve rotary bass trumpet: place the left thumb on the near side of the 1st rotor casing and the left index on the far side of the 3rd (or 4th) rotor casing.

Klaus
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Nice fragment, Klaus