Rehearsal software

The bulk of the musical talk
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Rehearsal software

Post by Dean E »

I need recommendations, please, concerning rehearsal playback hardware and software. I want to slow down recordings for rehearsals, but not change pitch.

Hardware. Both Superscope and Marantz market CD players with tempo control, but they only play CD, CD-R, and CD-RW media (not minidisks), and the basic model doesn’t have input lines for using microphones or other playback sources.

Superscope Products
http://www.superscopetechnologies.com/p ... /index.htm

Software. I assume that PC software would perform playback functions from a wide variety of media formats, avoiding high hardware costs, but which programs are best for PCs?

Thanks.
Last edited by Dean E on Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Slowgold and Slowblast Rehearsal Software

Post by Dean E »

Dean E wrote:. . . I want to slow down recordings for my individual rehearsals, but not change pitch. . . .
Software. I assume that PC software would perform playback functions from a wide variety of media formats, avoiding high hardware costs, but which programs are best for PCs?
Ever get that dizzy feeling trying to rehearse a circus march?

Slowgold and Slowblast software slow down and speed up recordings and list for $50/20. I'm thinking of buying Slowgold.

Has anyone evaluated these or other programs?

Slowgold home page
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
Jeff Miller
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeff Miller »

There is a terrific piece of software called Transcribe! which is written and sold by Seventh String software. It's available with a free demo.

The guy that writes it is a trombonist and guitarist, and was also a post-doc in the Stanford University artificial intelligence lab at one time.

The software lets you alter speed without affecting pitch. It also has a number of other facilities that make it easier to transcribe recordings. Definitely worth a look.

I'm not sure of the current price, but it used to be under $100, which is a real bargain for what you get.

http://www.seventhstring.com/

Jeff Miller
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

The Creative Zen Nomad series of MP3 players has a speed altering mode under the EAX settings- it sounds a small bit choppy but the pitch is not altered.

These players are available online at places like Newegg.com and Buy.com- retail outlets such as Bestbuy etc will be MUCH more expensive.