Toccata Marziale

The bulk of the musical talk
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Toccata Marziale

Post by capt_tuba »

If using Toccata Marziale for an audition, should one play top or bottom octave? There is no guidance from what I am auditioning for, but if I am going to work it up I want to have it they way military special band auditions would ask so I do not have to rework it if I try for one of those bands. Thanks.
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
Mark

Re: Toccata Marziale

Post by Mark »

I would prepare both and if the octave was not specified at the audition, I would play the lower octave.
TubaNerd88
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaNerd88 »

Unless it's specified in the audition packet to prepare the top octave, you should always prepare the bottom octave. If you win a military band audition, you come into the section being last chair, so you'll usually always play the bottom octave. Hence why most military band auditions have you prepare the bottom octave by default.

(...but it never hurts to work up the top octave just in case. Be comfortable with both.)

:)
Matthew Gray
DMA Candidate, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
Eastman EBC836
B&S PT-16
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by capt_tuba »

I picked this piece. The reason I question is when it goes to split parts, the bottom plays on beat one eighth note while the top has more material to it. But I picked it because it was off the West Point audition. Figured if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for what I am trying to do.
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

99% of octave splits, the top should be ignored. It's just there for a copout in case the bottom line has insufficient guts or clarity for the instrumentation or acoustics. in a band there are a cornucopia of medium-large instruments playing that sort of thing anyways although I will allow 1% for the rare actually-interesting tuba octaves.
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by capt_tuba »

Thanks!!!
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65