Another question

The bulk of the musical talk
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Another question

Post by capt_tuba »

For the upcoming West Point Tuba audition, there are two excerpts from a third movement of a clarinet concerto. Trying to figure out what it is so I can know tempos. Not doing the West Point audition, but using it for something else I am trying for. It is not (or at least I have not heard it) Mozart’s Clarinet or any of the Weber Clarinet concertos. Any input? I have exhausted my clarinet concerto knowledge. Thanks!!!
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Another question

Post by capt_tuba »

True, but move is a vague tempo marking ;)
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
capt_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by capt_tuba »

Plus, I want to be precise.
Tim Smith
Miraphone 1290
PT-66, 65
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

If a band excerpt is written in octaves, the jury by principle has the right to ask to hear both octaves. Which makes sense insofar that the music director has the right to expect both octaves being played no matter which permutation of players have been assigned to a given concert.

Both octaves of course have to be practiced, but tempo, dynamics, and articulation are (or should be) the same for both octave versions.

Klaus
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I remember my audition at West Point in 1968. Sgt. LaZizza had me sightread "Goldberg and Schmuel" from "Pictures" Well back then they had 11 tubas that included Culbertson and Kryzwicki and a few other great ones.The band was alloted only 8 but Col. Schempf fet that he did not care to see great players shot in Viet Nam, so he stuck out his neck and went over the quoto with 11. No, I did not make the cut. But I remember a good friend in the Marine Band, Carl Humble, who commented that bands were "vehicles of amazement, and you better have emaculate technigue and play as fast as the wind." Carl had prepped several successful players for service band auditions. But hey! What do I know that was back in the '80s.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
WillDellinger
bugler
bugler

Post by WillDellinger »

Sparke