I sure wish I had bought this one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78285&p=622482&hili ... ny#p621016" target="_blank

For you, what's the one that got away?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: One that got away?

Post by bort »

About 12 years ago, I was on a band tour in Austria and they arranged for me to borrow a tuba from a local pro. It was a Miraphone 188, and to this day, is still just about the finest tuba of any kind that I have ever played. Even better than the regular 188, which I also really like a lot.

They told me the owner was selling a Hirsbrunner, and I just said no thanks. I should have tried to make an offer for that Miraphone! I have been chasing that tuba sound/experience ever since!
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

About 2 years ago I bought a 25J for $750 on ebay. He had 2 of them. He did not know what he had and had listed them as 20J's. He offered me the 2nd one for $650. I really didn't want to spend the extra $$$ and my better half told me I got my good deal, pay it forward and tell him what he had was a 25J and worth more. So I did and the price went up considerably on the 2nd one. I really wish now I had listened to the little devil on my shoulder and spent the $650. The price to pay for a clear conscious. :wink:
Last edited by edsel585960 on Mon May 29, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

One night a few months ago WWBW put a Fafner on Ebay for something like $3300. Obviously a mistake. I nearly pulled the trigger and then decided to sleep on it. Surely it would be there in the morning, and I would feel better about not making the impulse buy. In the morning it was sold (not "no longer available") so somebody was pretty happy about being an impulse buyer that night.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Michael Bush wrote:One night a few months ago WWBW put a Fafner on Ebay for something like $3300. Obviously a mistake. I nearly pulled the trigger and then decided to sleep on it. Surely it would be there in the morning, and I would feel better about not making the impulse buy. In the morning it was sold (not "no longer available") so somebody was pretty happy about being an impulse buyer that night.
I saw them list a piston Fafner for $5500 about 4 months ago and the morning I was going to pull the trigger on it, it was sold. That thing was a beauty with only a tiny blemish.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I've missed out on several pristine small York Eb's in the $400 range over the years that I still regret.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

doublebuzzing wrote:
Michael Bush wrote:One night a few months ago WWBW put a Fafner on Ebay for something like $3300. Obviously a mistake. I nearly pulled the trigger and then decided to sleep on it. Surely it would be there in the morning, and I would feel better about not making the impulse buy. In the morning it was sold (not "no longer available") so somebody was pretty happy about being an impulse buyer that night.
I saw them list a piston Fafner for $5500 about 4 months ago and the morning I was going to pull the trigger on it, it was sold. That thing was a beauty with only a tiny blemish.
The one I saw was longer ago than that and rotary. Maybe they just sell some of them at fire sale prices from time to time.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

This one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9910" target="_blank

It was for sale twice. First time it sold before I could arrange to try it. Second time was just bad timing as I had just moved cross-country and bought a house and wasn't really in the market for a tuba. It has not surfaced in the last 10 years or so that I am aware of. I know several folks that have tried it and by all accounts it is a great tuba.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Tom wrote:This one:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9910" target="_blank" target="_blank

It was for sale twice. First time it sold before I could arrange to try it. Second time was just bad timing as I had just moved cross-country and bought a house and wasn't really in the market for a tuba. It has not surfaced in the last 10 years or so that I am aware of. I know several folks that have tried it and by all accounts it is a great tuba.
You're killing me, Tom. Sounds amazing, and the photo links are long gone!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

hrender wrote:Here's a pic of the Buescher Matt put together.
:shock:
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

a Rusk cut Holton 345 that Warren Deck was selling for an even 5K. The person who was going to lend me the cash got cold feet. I wasn't holding a full-time job at that moment, but I could have paid it off fairly easily. I wish I had persisted, as I love the sound of Holton 345's.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

There was also a Conn rotary CC on the board here about 10 years ago, and I think a Conn Geib tuba around that same time. At the time, I didn't know enough to know that I wanted them. If either was up for sale now, I'd buy it immediately.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I got a pro level oboe on ebay with a BIN way below its worth. There were something like 28 people "watching" it. As soon as the guy put up a 14 day return, I grabbed it. Took it to my teacher, who told me I basically stole it, and then I wrote the seller and told him it wouldn't be coming back. Every once in a while we are the lucky buyer rather than the regretter.