Mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Mouthpieces

Post by TubaRay »

This subject has come up numerous times before. My answer has changed somewhat since the last time. I used a Conn Helleberg for many moons and was quite pleased with the results. I have recently been trying to beef up the sound of my Miraphone 186 CC, and has purchased a Mike Finn 3H. It has helped quite a bit without changing the feel significantly from the Helleberg. I like the bite and flexibility I can get with the Helleberg. I can still get it with the Mike Finn.

Purchasing the Mike Finn respresented the most cash I have ever parted with in order to get a mouthpiece. I am very pleased with my purchase.

By the way, I still use the Conn Helleberg when I am looking for a little less bulk.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I like 'em when they have holes on opposite ends; one should preferably be larger than the other.

CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

My favorite, for euphonium, is a Doug Elliott mpc. I'm using a LT-102G rim; LT-H cup; and H8 shank. This mpc gives me a good range with a great tone and good intonation. According Doug's catalog, the rim 102 is similar to a Wick 4.5 in size. Before my DE setup, I used a Wick-5AL heavy top. Prior to that I played on a Schilke 51D. The 51D had good intonation but not as warm a tone as I wanted. My tone with the DE setup is the same as with the Wick... but with better intonation.

When I started back to playing about 4 years ago (after not playing for 33 years), I used a 6.5AL mpc. That only lasted a few months... couldn't get the low notes easily.
Last edited by Rick F on Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

On the serious side, let me offer a personal tidbit.

I can't handle mouthpieces with wide rims. I don't mean that I can't make a good sound with them. I mean that the wide rims seem to impact some facial nerves and after a week of playing or so, I feel that I've got an abcess in one of my molars.

I really like the sound I can get out of a Wick 3 or Bach 24AW, but using them has sent me twice to the dentist thinking that I'm due for a root canal. There's no pain for the first week or 10 days, then gradually, it becomes a constant throb.

No, I don't press hard on my face with a mouthpiece, there's only sufficient pressure to get a good seal. My dentist shrugs and says that the facial nerves are a complicated tangle and that "phantom pains" are not unusual. And my dental health is excellent--I have all of my teeth, save for my wisdom teeth extracted during adolescence and have no root canals or extensive repairs--just normal amalgam fillings--and not many of those.

I imagine that one of those old Rudi Muck "cushion rims" would send me to new depths of agony.

So, I use Helleberg-style mouthpieces with narrowish rims and I'm fine--or I limit my playing with one of the wide rim jobs to a couple of hours every so often.

My current mouthpiece is a Conn Helleberg 7B. It works--it's got a small hole on one end and a large one on the other--and a narrow rim.

You may be quite capable of playing anything youi want, but maybe, like me, not. Just more grist for the mill of discussion.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

I use just a normal Helleberg. I tried some larger mouthpieces on my CC, but they didn't feel right. I like the sharper rim on the Helleberg. On my F, I use a 7B, which has a nice small rim, but it's deep and gives a nice big sound.
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

i prefer the pt-50 or pt-50 plus for my horn. i enjoy the large mouthpieces rather well. hard to tell what will happen the day i finally buy an F. have to use a smaller mouthpiece!?!?! AHHHH!!!!!!!
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

Euph - Shilke 52D - used for lessons and maybe 2-3 performances a year
Meinl Weston 45 F tuba - Yamaha 67B4 - solos, some quintet
Cerveny 681(?) - Mirafone C4 - mostly used to collect dust
B&S PT6 - Mike Finn 3 - My primary horn
I recommend a basic Helleberg or Bach 18/24AW to all of my tuba students. Only after they have developed good flexibility, sound concept, and articulations is it worthwhile to look for a mouthpiece to address specific needs. Even then, the results of a fancy schmancy mouthpiece are minimal at best. The old warhorses have become prominent for a reason...they work.
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University