The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Re: pros and cons of reverse tuning slide

Post by pjv »

In the link I posted earlier I gave the same comment I'll give now;
Dunno.
I do know that Miraphone has used it on their horns. Seeing as this is a highly professional company that takes their various (high tech?) tuba models very seriously, I suggest anyone really interested should ask them when and why they use a reverse MTS. They might just feel inclined to answer the question.
Then you'll have an answer from at least one very reputable company.
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

If you manage to avoid the bump back down in bore in your reversed tuning, you might, psychologically or otherwise, experience improvement. But it's too modest to make a change in your playing; it'll feel a trifle nicer, but losing a brace (if necessary) could worsen the response. YMMV.

It's much more pronounced a difference in trombones. Nowhere else that I've found.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

So the question remains why would a company like Miraphone even bother to apply this? Why bother? It's not like it's a cool selling point.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

bloke wrote:
roweenie wrote:I have been told by more than one highly respected (ie. at the top of their respective professions) technicians/players/designers that the place where the small end of the MTS meets the valve nest is a critical spot where a bore gap exacerbate problems, at least as far as piston valves are concerned (I have zero experience regarding rotary valves). Postponing a bore gap there can have positive effects, according to them.

YMMV
My personal experience is that minimizing the length of the bore enlargement (much more than does delaying it by a couple of inches - as this point is going to vary by SEVERAL inches, depending on the design of the tuba) seems (??) to be beneficial.

I have two tuning slides for one particular instrument. The stock one plays at c. A=440 (room temp c. 74 - 75 degrees, and instrument warmed up) when pulled c. 1 inch.
The other one is the length of that 1 inch pull when pushed all the way in (no bore enlargement whatsoever on either side). The tuba is VERY slightly (i.e. "only a tiny amount") easier to play - SEEMINGLY - with the no-gaps tuning slide...

bloke "...and I could - very easily - be fooling myself."

I did an experiment today with a king/york BBb that had a slide loop prior to the tuning slide. I tried to make all the slide lengths inside as flush as possible and made a reverse slide out of the loop. I might be fooling myself but it seems to play more smoothly. Might be psychological, or phreneologicoustical, but It seemed to do something.
Tubas
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

How well a tuning slide matches the connecting tubing is pretty much a moot point once the slide has been pulled out a dab. I feel the same way about reversed slides. I'd rather have the firm bracing.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.