1914 Holton Tuba Found

The bulk of the musical talk
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

1914 Holton Tuba Found

Post by Liberty Mo »

I thought I would share a pretty cool story. I was on a business trip in Idaho Falls this week, happened to take a walk from my hotel to a coffee shop one morning and just walked past a shop window that had big old tuba sitting there, walked up and it had a little plaque telling the story of the horn. A 1914 Holton 3 valve BBb. The best part is it appears that the store keeps the horn in playing shape letting it be heard. The store was closed, or I would have loved to have learned more.

Miraphone 1291-5v BBb
Conn Monster BBb
"Half of the World is Below Average"
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 1914 Holton Tuba Found

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Very cool. Love those old American BATs. And a neat looking piston French horn next to it as well.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Possible to get tons of core without the overblowing?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

The owner plays it at tuba Christmas in Idaho falls every year. He would have loved telling you all about it. He also has a four rotary valve bass trombone that he built years ago which is pretty cool.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

In a band, it makes more sense. In an orchestra though, we've already got string basses... Bunches of them. Why not go for a different sound?

Sometimes I forget that the woofy sound is what I dislike. The Warren Deck kind of mega power sound from a 6/4 piston tuba is much more pleasing to me. But even then, I'd rather use a rotary tuba and work much less hard to get a more focused sound.

Blah blah blah...

Thanks for posting these photos. I know I would have been very excited as well to walk past something like that during a business trip! :tuba: