Ergonomic Euphonium Design

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Ergonomic Euphonium Design

Post by eupho »

Wondering what the general feeling is about the "valve front" compensating euphonium design? Those who have played one-what are the pluses and minuses?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Ergonomic Euphonium Design

Post by MikeMason »

I've had thoughts about the new Wessex one. I wonder if my conductors would be more open to its occasional use on high,delicate parts if my tenor tuba looked more like my other tubas. Just pondering.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

The most ergonomic euph I've ever seen/played is the one Willson built for Fred Marzan. I'm TOTALLY partial to front-action horns.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Never head ergonomics issues with my standard Besson 3+1 euphonium...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

58mark wrote:While I do find that I like 4 valves in a row more, my problem with front action euphoniums is they are not as easy held off the lap, and unlike tubas, I can't play with one resting in my lap without 9 inches of pillows under them.
You are also a million feet tall. :)
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Biggest problem with the 3+1 setup is the 4rth valve is always on the back of the horn (sans some newer student models). I don't know anyone who's never had some wrist discomfort because of that.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

Dan Schultz wrote:The most ergonomic euph I've ever seen/played is the one Willson built for Fred Marzan. I'm TOTALLY partial to front-action horns.
+1
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I had the same problem as Mark and I am definitely not his height. I bought a front action Conn baritone thinking it was going to solve my ergonomic problems with top valves, and it was a Kompleat Failure. Could not find a way to hold the thing that worked, and sold it.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I played two seasons on two different circuses on baritone and just cradled it in my left arm right up to where it was comfortable on my chops. Ed
The Singing Whale
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

The British Baritone is so light and the valves are kind of out front (almost like a trumpet), I find it hard to believe it was a problem to hold and play. I guess I'm used to upright valves so maybe it is more natural feeling for me.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

The bell points to the left, so if you are playing in an orchestra it is good.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

opus37 wrote:The British Baritone is so light and the valves are kind of out front (almost like a trumpet), I find it hard to believe it was a problem to hold and play. I guess I'm used to upright valves so maybe it is more natural feeling for me.
The British baritone is a very different critter from the American baritone (many of them are also very different from each other) and the euphonium is a different beast still. The 3+1 euphonium has a whole different level of stresses from the Brit bari.

A few companies have made American front-valve baritones similar in sound to the Britbari, but they are not nearly as popular here as the larger Ameribaris.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

British euphoniums are dogs to hold.
And as far as that's concerned, so are ALL euphoniums.
A lot of weight.
Where to put it?
Stands, straps, pouches. Anythings better then holding the dxxn thing cause it's either restrictiong my finger movement or breathing or both.
I see a bright future for carbon fiber....
bman94
lurker
lurker

Post by bman94 »

I've never had an issue with + prefer the 3+1 design. It's very comfortable and you're essentially "hugging" the horn and gives me a secure grip of the horn.

In terms of bell front/valce front Euphoniums it was always awkard to hold the horn sitting down and a little less awkward while standing up. We used those in college and the most comfortable way of holding those horns was by gripping the bell.