Looking for some experienced input-recital

The bulk of the musical talk
tubaguy4
lurker
lurker

Looking for some experienced input-recital

Post by tubaguy4 »

Hello all,
I am going into my Junior year of undergraduate study and am looking to start planning for a Junior recital. I have a few thoughts in mind of what I want to do but I thought I would reach out to the community to ask about what pieces would be good to consider for a Tuba recital in terms of good music and just pieces of "The Repetoire" that would be good to tackle at this point. All suggestions and inputs are welcome. Thanks a ton.
Best,

Tubaguy4
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Looking for some experienced input-recital

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote: The idea of a recital is not to play stuff that you will barely be able to pull together, but to display your capabilities in the very best light.
i.e. A recital is NOT a "test", but - rather - a "showcase".

+10
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Tubaru
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaru »

windshieldbug wrote:
bloke wrote: The idea of a recital is not to play stuff that you will barely be able to pull together, but to display your capabilities in the very best light.
i.e. A recital is NOT a "test", but - rather - a "showcase".

+10
Do not just play technical pieces but also choose some that show off your lyrical abilities as well. Some of the most difficult music I have ever played was easy as far as notes and rhythms but extremely difficult to phrase, add nuance and make music out of. A well played aria, ballad, etc. that makes the audience cry shows much more of your ability to make music than playing a flashy piece like the Carnival of Venice for example.
Wessex Chicago-York CC
Wessex Linz F
Wessex Dolce EP100GB
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

So many things can go into it. I like to try and do some on Bass Tuba, and some on Contrabass. That is, if you are playing both varieties. I think it's too bad when people just settle on playing F tuba for concerts. There's not as much good rep for contrabass specifically, but there's plenty still worth playing.

Is your teacher not the type to *HIGHLY* recommend pieces to you? Most at least offer some strong (and usually) smart suggestions!
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

Obligatory "Ask your teacher" comment.

If you are interested in what music is usually programmed at junior undergraduate recitals, do a little googling and look at the curriculums for undergraduate study for a couple of studios. See what literature is listed most often for the junior or upperclassmen levels.

Here's the one from UNT

Here's one from UCLA

Here's one from Marshall

Here's one from Cal State

Here's one from UTM

Here's one from UNCW (pretty far down the list)

Here's one from Sonoma (pretty far down on the list)

etc. You can find more pretty easily by Googling different studios. Browse through a few and see the tunes that seem to come up most often. Those are probably a pretty good idea of a place to start.

Programming music for recitals is pretty subjective. What's appropriate for Player X and University Y might not be right for you. Your instructor should have a pretty good idea, though. Certainly can give better insight into your own unique needs than the TNFJ.
[/post]
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

The first thing you'll want to do is check your school's requirements, if any. For example, my school required you to program a Bach suite (usually one of the cello ones) and something from a song cycle. After finding pieces that fulfilled all of my school's requirements, I chose pieces that I enjoyed that were at a level I could play. All of this was done in collaboration with my teacher as well. You absolutely need to have them on board with your musical selections! I just heard from a friend of mine that they failed their senior recital hearing because he tried going over his teacher's head on repertoire.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
tubaguy4
lurker
lurker

Post by tubaguy4 »

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I am very excited to take all of the information you have all provided me and my own research back to my teacher. This will all be extremely helpful in our discussion of what he would like me to do. Thank you all very much.
Best,

Tubaguy4