Gig Bag Recommendation For Beater Horn

The bulk of the musical talk
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Gig Bag Recommendation For Beater Horn

Post by tofu »

fenne1ca wrote:I didn't care for the Wessex bag I had, though it did the job adequately, and for an unbeatable price. If you're up to the investment, though, Miraphone is the way to go (not to mention it'll fit your 186 like a glove, for obvious reasons). I use my gig bags multiple times daily, so the extra expense was well worth it to my mind.
My experience exactly. As a once in a while bag it's fine but as an everyday bag I would find the Wessex bag to be a PITA. I've got one for a horn I only rarely use.
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

tofu wrote:
fenne1ca wrote:I didn't care for the Wessex bag I had, though it did the job adequately, and for an unbeatable price. If you're up to the investment, though, Miraphone is the way to go (not to mention it'll fit your 186 like a glove, for obvious reasons). I use my gig bags multiple times daily, so the extra expense was well worth it to my mind.
My experience exactly. As a once in a while bag it's fine but as an everyday bag I would find the Wessex bag to be a PITA. I've got one for a horn I only rarely use.
Can you elaborate more on why the Wessex is a "PITA"? :)
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Interesting that shortly after I posted this thread, the price on the Wessex bags jumped $8! Hmmm. . .
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:I prefer side-loading bags, because I prefer to repack my instruments at waist-level (on a backstage provided folding table).

Others I know, though, don't like to have to elbow in between other musicians backstage, and prefer top-loading bags, because they can set their instruments on their bells, drop their bags over their instruments, flip everything over, zip it up, and take off.

The one bag of which I cannot understand the popularly is the expensive top-loading bag with drawstrings and a "hat". To me, that would be annoying...and those never seem to fit particularly well, either, in my experience.
I have never done the "flip trick" with my top loading bags, and I have used them for many, many years. Sounds like such a hassle, I wouldn't want to use a top-loader in that case, either!

Also, those A-bags you hate (and I hate too)... Didn't they used to be cheaper? Or maybe the only game in town?
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

58mark wrote:

It's awkward, but not as bad as a top loader
This is why if you can, you really need to try a bag before you buy, because I disagree with the above statement. I prefer a side loader, but do own some top loaders and I can get a tuba in and out of a top loader in a snap. In the case of the Wessex, it's a shame as it is a well made bag for a great price. I don't know what the benefits they saw in the design for this backaxx loader were. It's an awkward load at best. The zippers to enclose the straps is another non-starter. They could have cut some cost out of the design by eliminating that idea that simply doesn't work well. And finally the position of the bag on the back is not very good as far as I'm concerned. If you plan on walking a lot this is going to be important to you. Personally, I find the Cronkhite to be the best, but again this is going to be one of those personal to you things that you are only going to find what works for you by trying it. For my 185 I use a Cronkhite which is almost as old as the horn and still going strong.
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Bummer about the Wessex bag. I've never had a top loader before, a section mate does and doesn't seem to have any issues getting his tuba in and out of the bag (I believe it's a Tuxedo). I may have to order whatever Guitar Center carries and then return whichever bag(s) I don't like.

Anyone own/try one of the newer Protect "Platinum" series bags? Supposed to be a big improvement over the more common Deluxe series.
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Stryk wrote:I've never priced them, but I got a couple Gard top loading bags with horns I bought and they seems very good quality - lots better than I thought they would be anyhow.
They look decent and are pretty affordable. I read a review about these not working with front action valves because they're too narrow, any insight on that issue?
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I used a Gard bag with my Cerveny 681 CC which is a rotary horn in the same style as a 186 but just a bit smaller. It was of very good quality and held up well, and the padding was firm and protective of the horn. I could see the bag being too narrow for certain piston front action horns but the 186 family is a relatively slim design.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Mark Horne wrote:I used a Gard bag with my Cerveny 681 CC which is a rotary horn in the same style as a 186 but just a bit smaller. It was of very good quality and held up well, and the padding was firm and protective of the horn. I could see the bag being too narrow for certain piston front action horns but the 186 family is a relatively slim design.
Great, thanks! I've got it narrowed down to the Tuxedo and the Gard, both carried by Guitar Center. I'll just return the one I don't want back to my local store without having to pay return shipping on such a bulky item.
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Post by Polkahero »

Got to say, I'm quite impressed with Gard's customer service. After I sent them the dimensions they requested, they replied back with another 3D diagram asking for the valve section dimensions. Check it out:Image
1967 Mirafone 186 BBb