Traveling to uni with my tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
ColeGAnderson
bugler
bugler

Traveling to uni with my tuba

Post by ColeGAnderson »

Hi all, In the fall I'm traveling to Ottawa, ON from Calgary, AB and I need to take my tuba with me, a Miraphone 186. For a while I had a friend who was able to drive it out for me but he has decided to fly so I have to arrange another way to move it there. Air Canada and Westjet told me the same thing, that I could take the tuba on the plane only if the sevurity agents aloowed me to, otherwise I would have to check it and as it is not a 100% guarentee that I can bring it with me on the plane, I have ruled that out as well. The only option I can see that remains is break down and buy a flight case. After a little research I have found a few that look indestructable.

- Unitec ABE Flight Case 1900$ CAN
- Kolberg flight case for 1 tuba 1500-1700$ CAN (Weights 100lbs empty)

While I understand that a flight case is going to cost a lot I would prefer one that is a little cheaper, but they all seem to be similar in pricing. I was just wondering if anyone has used either of these cases, or if they would recomend another. I'm not super picky about the weight, I would just like one that will keep my tuba safe for a few years to come. Thanks for your time.
Miraphone 186 5V CC (1983)
B and H Imperial Eb 4V (1963)
Marzan Euphonium (1970s?)
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Traveling to uni with my tuba

Post by thevillagetuba »

There are a few calzone flight cases for sale on the forum and, depending on the bell size of your 186, I know at least one if not all of them will fit.

There is also a Unitec flight case on eBay that will probably for your horn for only $550-ish USD.

I would inquire about those and how much it would cost to get it them to you as that should be much more economical.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I'll second an endorsement for Unitec, especially since they cater specifically to your model of tuba. If I hadn't lucked into a Walt Johnson case from a friend, I was planning on getting one of these.

http://www.wwbw.com/Unitec-Tuba-and-Sou ... bw?baynote" target="_blank
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Last time I flew with a tuba, the airline said it would be OK to gate check my horn, if security said it would be OK.

Security said it would be OK to gate check my horn, if the airline said it would be OK.

I went to the airport a few days before, with the tuba, just to square everything away with the people at the ticket counter, and at the TSA office.

Everyone agreed it was my right to be present while TSA inspected it.

On the day of travel (of course), ALL the preparations I made were OUT THE WINDOW, because the people at the airport have a tendency to make rules up as they go, and don't like being told (especially with evidence, which I had, ie. photocopies of the law, TSA guidlines, etc.) when they are wrong.

If you are going to fly with a tuba (or any large, valuable musical instrument) I HIGHLY recommend arriving at the airport several hours early, just in case you need to go to "Plan B" (whatever that might be).

Long story short, don't skimp - make sure you've got a case that will protect your horn from gorillas, because that's who will be handling it.

https://youtu.be/749iU2Zv1kw" target="_blank

Of course, if they won't let you be present when they inspect it (like in my situation), you're on your own.

(And yes, I prefer to drive when possible - I've driven over 1000 miles, each way, to transport a tuba - but there isn't a road between the US and Spain....)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

What would it cost to rent a car for the trip? Assuming you are going one-way. Me....I'd do that, unless you are going to be going back and forth and back and forth, in which case (pun intended) your plan of the world's best flight case is your best option.
ColeGAnderson
bugler
bugler

Post by ColeGAnderson »

Unfortunately driving is out as it's 3300km (or 2000 miles) away. I think I'll probably go with one of the unitec cases, they're a little more expensive but at least they aren't 100lbs empty. Thanks for all of your help, I might look into what there is on the forum for the calzone cases as well.
Miraphone 186 5V CC (1983)
B and H Imperial Eb 4V (1963)
Marzan Euphonium (1970s?)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

How about shipping the tubas to yourself via some form of ground transportation?

If you send them 5-7 days ahead of you and they should be there when you arrive. Maybe have them shipped to the University's studio and pick it up there? If you're worried about them getting lost, you can buy an inexpensive GPS tracker device to throw in the box with it. You wouldn't even need to buy a flight case - a good freebie carton could probably withstand several back-and-forth rounds of shipping your tuba if you only did it at the beginning and end of each year.

I would do almost anything to avoid having any of my tubas on an airplane. First choice is always to drive (yes, I know it's a LONG drive), but the second choice, to me, should always be ground shipping. It isn't risk free, but seems much safer than commercial air travel. And don't overlook low-and-slow shipping like by train or even bus.

Good luck.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.