Mouthpiece shank size for a Rudy 5/4

The bulk of the musical talk
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Mouthpiece shank size for a Rudy 5/4

Post by BBruce107 »

Hi all, I play a 5/4 Rudy and am having a mouthpiece issue. I have both American and Euro mouthpieces and have tried both on my horn but neither are fitting properly. My American shank CB2 bottoms out on the gap of the horn and my Euro shank Parker fits but it is so snug that it almost takes a pair of pliers to take out of the receiver. Is there a special shank for Rudy Meinl tubas? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :oops:
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Mouthpiece shank size for a Rudy 5/4

Post by Dan Schultz »

My 5/4 BBb Rudy.from the 80's fit a regular-shank MP but was a little 'rocky'. Since these receivers are basically a reverse taoer made into the leadpipe with a reinforcing ferrule over the outside... once they are knocked out of round... are diffucult ti repair. I cut my leadpipe and put on a modern King receiver. All is well.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

It is weird. Both of my mouthpieces are completely round. It is a CC and I have heard that they sometimes have a different taper than a standard American or Euro shank receivers. I wonder if there were a line of mouthpieces with that taper or if any modern company that can make a shank to fit.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Give Lee Stofer a call, he knows everything you need to know about Rudy Meinl tubas!