Total votes : 80

186: POLL

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:37 pm

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 186: POLL

Postby the elephant » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 pm

I like the new ones a lot, but I wish they would release a "classic" version with the exact, same bell used in the late 1960's (with CAD to sniff out any pitch errors that the bell itself might introduce). The new horns are easier to play, but boring, IMHO. So the modern horn from the mouthpiece through the upper bow, and perhaps the old style (and manufacturing techniques) bell and *maybe* the bottom bow.

If having to make a choice between a late 1960s (or early 1970s) era 186-5U CC and the current 186 I would probably opt for the "issues" and go for the sound and feel (and flat 23 5th) of the old horn.
Photobucket blows. You have been updated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I suspect the more consistently accessible intonation is in the smaller parts of the instrument. The sheet-metal bell and bows - I would have to imagine - would at least double the cost, and cut way back on production... just as I would imagine it would with the B&S F tubas.
bloke

Postby 58mark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:35 pm

the elephant wrote:I like the new ones a lot, but I wish they would release a "classic" version with the exact, same bell used in the late 1960's (with CAD to sniff out any pitch errors that the bell itself might introduce). The new horns are easier to play, but boring, IMHO. So the modern horn from the mouthpiece through the upper bow, and perhaps the old style (and manufacturing techniques) bell and *maybe* the bottom bow.

If having to make a choice between a late 1960s (or early 1970s) era 186-5U CC and the current 186 I would probably opt for the "issues" and go for the sound and feel (and flat 23 5th) of the old horn.

My wessex Prague plays a lot like an old 186 because it has the smaller bell. I just wish the valves felt like a miraphone. Yes, I've thought about a valve transpant
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Heliconer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 am

I suppose it all boils down to personal preference, but having repaired a few dozen of these, I'm just not impressed by the sound. To me they are like Yamaha tubas; not much variation or character from one to the next.

Although, that does take the guess work out of buying them on eBay :tuba:
Conn 28K 4v Eb Sousaphone
Sherman Clay & Co Junior Eb Sousaphone
Holton Del Negro BBb Tuba
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Postby kathott » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Could you amend this poll? It is somewhat incompleat. I am a longtime Mirafone player, but I don't know enough about the various changes made to this model over the years: the later smaller leadpipe, larger bell, venting, the short lived and quite silly "Presto" system, flat whole step 5th valve/right hand operated. To assess these changes, one would have to have several 186's of varying vintage side by side. My own 186 CC (4+1) was made in 1966. It's a workhorse.
Huttl CC, six valve (with special mute springboard)
kathott
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:04 pm

kathott wrote:Could you amend this poll? It is somewhat incompleat. I am a longtime Mirafone player, but I don't know enough about the various changes made to this model over the years: the later smaller leadpipe, larger bell, venting, the short lived and quite silly "Presto" system, flat whole step 5th valve/right hand operated. To assess these changes, one would have to have several 186's of varying vintage side by side. My own 186 CC (4+1) was made in 1966. It's a workhorse.

There's a 5-valve 1963 model here that - serendipidously - offers as-good-as-current-versions intonation, combined with the handmade 16-1/2" bell sheet metal sound (and like-new condition rotors).
bloke

Postby bort » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 pm

bloke wrote:There's a 5-valve 1963 model here that - serendipidously - offers as-good-as-current-versions intonation, combined with the handmade 16-1/2" bell sheet metal sound (and like-new condition rotors).

Showoff. :roll: :)
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:27 pm

bort wrote:
bloke wrote:There's a 5-valve 1963 model here that - serendipidously - offers as-good-as-current-versions intonation, combined with the handmade 16-1/2" bell sheet metal sound (and like-new condition rotors).

Showoff. :roll: :)

I'll probably sell it, eventually.
Someone else can show it off.
I'll only show it off when advertising it.
nope: not now.
It's one of those "rare" tubas...but (again) I'm not a collector.
I'm afraid that (in my care) it would collect dust.
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am

I voted for "more change." The old stove pipe bell, to my ears, is too "point-and-shoot" (yes, knowing that a lot of players love that sound). Again, to my ears, the new 17 3/4 bell is too "vanilla" and does not have the best definition (knowing that Miraphone is seeking a broader market). I had the '60's recording bell for awhile. It did not capture the "American tone" that was the goal, and it made everything too front-heavy. I had a retrofit detachable St. Pete bell for awhile. The tone was big and full, leaning towards Alex territory, but again, this is a Miraphone, not an Alex.

As most of you know, my 186 now has a Besson New Standard BBb 17 inch bell. Tone and intonation are great, especially for my application: community concert band. I believe if Miraphone took the taper and bell throat of that bell, which is a slightly different log curve than others, and extended the diameter about an inch to help the terminal node develop for the privileged and pedal tones, it would be a great improvement, along with going back to the smaller bore, different taper of the old leadpipes to bring back out a little more of the even overtones so the tone will knit to the rest of the ensemble better.

But keep the valves - the best rotary valves in the business.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby the elephant » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Depending on your final determination of price and when it was eventually offered up for sale, I would *for certain* be interested in this tuba. (Not a promise to purchase, but I am seriously interested in this tuba.)

I happen to know a mean, middle-aged, obese guy would would take care of the "shipping" for free, including pickup at your fine estate...

:tuba:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Rebel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 am

I have a 1968 186BBb 4 valve. Great horn, and love the quality and craftsmanship of a horn made "in the day".
1968 Miraphone 186-4U
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
1983 Yamaha XV-920 Midnight Virago
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Postby Voisi1ev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm

http://i.imgur.com/h53RQG8.jpg

Maybe it deserves its own thread, but the school I teach at picked up this horn a couple years back. It came with the recording bell! Makes me want to join a polka band. Plays like a 186...however you take that :P
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Voisi1ev-

The tuba is certainly interesting, but it's the case that really got my attention! I'd actually be interested in seeing more photos of that just out of sheer curiosity.

Another thread would likely be more appropriate so that it doesn't totally take this one off the rails.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Postby rodgeman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Voisi1ev wrote:
Maybe it deserves its own thread, but the school I teach at picked up this horn a couple years back. It came with the recording bell! Makes me want to join a polka band. Plays like a 186...however you take that :P

I have one. It is a 186. My recording bell says Mirafone.
Rodgeman
Mirafone 186 Recording Bell BBb
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Postby roweenie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:23 pm

That case is interesting, but it sort of defeats one of the main advantages of a detachable bell, doesn't it?
Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Voisi1ev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Both bells are the original Miraphone ones.

We got the horn through a Federal Surplus program, so the case came with it. I assume it was from a NASA band that toured, thus needing a case to withstand a shuttle launch. It is YUUUUGE. Like they don't need to build a wall, just put that thing on the US/Canadian border and no one else is sneaking through. I'd love to sell the case, but not sure there is a market for it. I've put it on the for sale board before.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 pm

That is an actual ATA-approved FLIGHT CASE. Looks to me like an Anvil product. Most things you see advertised or hyped here under the name "flight case" are not actually approved by the ATA and so are not actual cases designed for safe use on aircraft. I have had a Miraphone 188 in one of these fall off the conveyer about 25 to 30 feet onto the tarmac. There was almost zero damage. The very outer edge of the bell flare on the front (just under the lid when closed) was bent about a quarter inch back along a two and a half inch run. That is it. From nearly three stories onto cement. THAT is a flight case. None of the other "flight" cases could withstand that sort of impact. Only an ATA-approved case will properly protect your horn under an airliner. Of course, these cost a LOT and then, in turn, cost a LOT to transport, and they are a cast iron "female dog" to transport. However, that is the price you pay (literally and figuratively) if you need to fly with a horn and have it arrive in one piece every time. Anything less than that is less than that. ATA case standards are super high and difficult to attain. Anvil made the best flight cases in the world. They might still, but I do not know.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby MartyNeilan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 pm

the elephant wrote:I like the new ones a lot, but I wish they would release a "classic" version with the exact, same bell used in the late 1960's (with CAD to sniff out any pitch errors that the bell itself might introduce). The new horns are easier to play, but boring, IMHO. So the modern horn from the mouthpiece through the upper bow, and perhaps the old style (and manufacturing techniques) bell and *maybe* the bottom bow.

this.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm

bloke wrote:I suspect the more consistently accessible intonation is in the smaller parts of the instrument.
The sheet-metal bell and bows - I would have to imagine - would at least double the cost, and cut way back on production...
just as I would imagine it would with the B&S F tubas.
bloke

Next

Return to TubeNet