186: POLL

The bulk of the musical talk

Total votes: 0

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: 186: POLL

Post by roweenie »

That case is interesting, but it sort of defeats one of the main advantages of a detachable bell, doesn't it?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Both bells are the original Miraphone ones.

We got the horn through a Federal Surplus program, so the case came with it. I assume it was from a NASA band that toured, thus needing a case to withstand a shuttle launch. It is YUUUUGE. Like they don't need to build a wall, just put that thing on the US/Canadian border and no one else is sneaking through. I'd love to sell the case, but not sure there is a market for it. I've put it on the for sale board before.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

the elephant wrote:I like the new ones a lot, but I wish they would release a "classic" version with the exact, same bell used in the late 1960's (with CAD to sniff out any pitch errors that the bell itself might introduce). The new horns are easier to play, but boring, IMHO. So the modern horn from the mouthpiece through the upper bow, and perhaps the old style (and manufacturing techniques) bell and *maybe* the bottom bow.

If having to make a choice between a late 1960s (or early 1970s) era 186-5U CC and the current 186 I would probably opt for the "issues" and go for the sound and feel (and flat 23 5th) of the old horn.
this.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Voisi1ev wrote:http://i.imgur.com/h53RQG8.jpg

Maybe it deserves its own thread, but the school I teach at picked up this horn a couple years back. It came with the recording bell! Makes me want to join a polka band. Plays like a 186...however you take that :P
That's what mine used to be before 1) it had the retrofit St Pete bell fitted to it; and 2) I put my Besson 17-inch BBb bell on it to turn it into a "Bessophone."
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I've only played and worked on one OLD (circa. 1960-ish) Mira. 186 BBb, and liked it better than the modern versions.
To me, it sounded sweeter. Other than the 4TH valve circuit being slightly too short, it played well in tune and had good response.