How to sell a tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
FatCat
bugler
bugler

How to sell a tuba?

Post by FatCat »

Note: Moderators, please move this if it's not in the right place. I'm just looking for an insight into how to sell a tuba safely.

Alright, so I'm planning on letting go of my old Mirafone 186 in order to upgrade to something bigger. My issue is that I've never actually sold a tuba before, I've only been on the purchasing end.

I currently have someone who has expressed interest in my tuba, and he would like to come to me and then take it to another state for his son to try before making a decision about purchasing. My biggest concern is that it would be easy for theft to occur in such a predicament.

So I would like to ask experienced tuba sellers, how would you approach this scenario? Would you avoid it entirely? Is it enough to collect some ID of the potential buyer, or should I take extra precautions?

Also, do you have any additional advice regarding selling a tuba?

Cheers :tuba:
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Re: How to sell a tuba?

Post by Rick F »

I think I would require full price up front, then if you wanted to, offer him a refund if/when he returned it.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Start contacting tuba players and see who can make an arrangement to try it that is acceptable to you. If it were me, I would not be involved in loans, trial periods, etc., unless you don't mind all the negative possibilities like the person's house burning to the ground, etc.
MORE AIR
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

Why not ask him to bring his son along, try it at your location and make a decision (or go back and think about it giving him a time frame and reserving the right to sell it if you haven't heard from him.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Not sure where you're located, but you might consider consigning it at a good instrument dealer in your area.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Yeah I don't get why he wouldn't just bring his son with him. It does sound a bit fishy to me..... This guy, you don't know him from Adam, and caution is called for. Sounds like possible disappearing tuba to me.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Definitely payment up front. You can accept a return if you want to.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

There are zillions of potential 186 customers so no need to grant any quarter in negotiations.
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

The only time I haven't sold directly to a buyer, I shipped the horn to the buyer's teacher (a university professor) and the buyer tried it in the teacher's studio. I trusted the teacher to be honest about the condition the horn arrived in, and that it wouldn't "walk off" during the trial. There is no way I would let some random dude take my instrument on a road trip for a trial.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Heavy_Metal wrote:Not sure where you're located, but you might consider consigning it at a good instrument dealer in your area.
This!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

The music store option is very solid, but 20% or even 10% cuts a ways into your return. I've had good luck with lots of pictures and a clear "I'll meet you within a couple hours of here to try it or you come here and try it" in the ad. So if it's too far or if you need to play it for a week to make a decision turn the page and look at the next horn that strikes your fancy. If you're near a college you might even kill two or three birds with one stone. Failing that I'd probably go the music store route since they deal with all of the headaches.So far, I've sold the horns on the first meeting every time. Thanks Tubenet. Ed
The Singing Whale
FatCat
bugler
bugler

Post by FatCat »

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will definitely sort something out that is safer for me :D