alternative fingerings on euphonium

The bulk of the musical talk
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Re:

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

Bloke is right, there aren't nearly as many alternate fingering options on euph as there are on 5 valved tubas. However, the ones I often see are:

Middle C can be played with either 13 or 4

C# above middle C can be 23 or 234 although it's kinda stuffy

D above that can be 12 or 124 although it's kinda stuffy

The Eb, Enatural and F above that can be played with their original fingerings PLUS the 4th valve to lower the pitch

Second line Bnatural can be played 123 or 1234 (I sometimes play it 1234 if I have to hold out the note, because compensating horns make the regular 24 fingering a little flat)

There are a bunch of other options, but those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

bloke wrote:Unfortunately,

With the "compensating" system that euphonium players/manufacturers do not seem willing to abandon, alternate fingers are somewhat limited. If professional euphoniums went to a 5 or 6 valve "independent" system, euphonium players would have a lot more options to "test" for intonation remedies.
Does anyone here play one of the French 5-valve saxhorns? I'm curious if these at least have the potential to play more in tune than the typical 4-valve compensating euphonium.

windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Chuck(G) wrote:I'm curious if these at least have the potential to play more in tune than the typical 4-valve compensating euphonium.
Well, they sure have a lot more potential to play out of tune...
Last edited by windshieldbug on Sun May 08, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

I prefer the discovery method of finding alternate fingerings. Play the note and go down the chromatic fingering patterns trying to reproduce the same pitch. When you get fairly high on a brass instrument it's not always about what is most in tune but finding a fingering that centers the note well and is dependable. The discovery method is most helpful when up around 10th partial and beyond.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
pg
bugler
bugler

Post by pg »

Others that come to mind . . .

1&3 for high Eb (2nd line above bass clef)

Sometime 3 alone when playing in a key that a note played with 1&2 needs to be lowered (such as playing a G in the key of Eb).

1&3 for high C (octave above middle C).

--paul;