Miraphone gig bag

The bulk of the musical talk
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Miraphone gig bag

Post by Eflatdoubler »

Has anyone else recently gotten a Miraphone gig bag and noticed some changes? I have a Wessex Solo E flat tuba and remembered liking an old Miraphone gig bag I used to have for a different horn. There is no longer a pocket inside the bell cover for mouthpieces. The straps still seem quite comfortable, but the padding seems thinner too.

I am able to fit this horn in the e flat/f tuba bag, but I do have to put it in so the valve section is on the backpack strap side because of the bell angling to the right.

Any thoughts/concerns on carrying the horn with the valve section tubing being closest to the straps/person when carrying it? It doesn't seem to directly rest on the instrument tubing when carrying it.
Debating wether I should keep this bag or get a Wessex bag or a Gard.
The Wessex bag seems to fit a few different horns (B600). The horn is only 34.6" in height and the Wessex Bag is 39" long which leaves a bit to be desired...
While I do like side loaders, the horn is fairly light, so a top loading bag isn't an issue.

My main priority is to have a gig bag that fits well and offers as much protection as possible (for a gig bag) while also being made well.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Miraphone gig bag

Post by scottw »

Not to shill Wessex bags, but you do not have to take a bag that is the wrong size. You just need to give them the dimensions and they will match you up with the right fitting bag. I thought I would need bag-X, based on what I saw on the website, only to have them contact me and suggest a better fitting bag instead of what I asked for. Good service.
Bearin' up!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone gig bag

Post by Eflatdoubler »

Thanks- they were the ones who suggested the b600 which fits a 17" bell with a horn height of 39". It is their horn, so I would try emailing them again (my bell is 16 3/4" with a horn height of 34.6"

Do any of you ever have to carry a horn in a case with the tubing for the valves being on the side that rests on your back when carrying it in the backpack position?