One of my favorite tuba moments...

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

One of my favorite tuba moments...

Post by bort »

Happened 12 years ago today. Here's a photo of young Bort (dig the sideburns!), with tuba players from Swarovski Musik Wattens, in Wattens, Austria.

No *real* point to this, but I have a framed poster from this concert hanging on my wall, and I happened to notice the date, 6/21/2005. The man in the middle gave me his lapel pin... I'll have to dig that out sometime! :tuba:
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: One of my favorite tuba moments...

Post by windshieldbug »

bort wrote:The man in the middle gave me his lapel pin

Das Tuba Exchangen...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Is this one of those gigs when they make you play before handing out the beer??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

That appears to be a (French) horn on your shirt.....I'd like to find a shirt like that!
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Now that's a feather in his cap if I ever saw one!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tubajug wrote:Now that's a feather in his cap if I ever saw one!
I wonder if the Austrians call it "macaroni" they way Yankee Doodle did??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

You know, I can't remember if they ALL had feathers like that or not. Will have to dig out the old photos sometime. I think the guy in the middle had a Rudy 5/4 BBb. Hearing that band play totally blew me away. Large group, with maybe 8 rotary tubas (BBb and F), plus full (large!) sections of rotary euphs, rotary baritones, rotary flugelhorns, rotary trumpets... plus 3 trombones, and only enough woodwinds to get by and cover the parts. What a sound!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

bloke wrote:Those favorite tuba moments are memorable indeed...

I can't tell... Which is your hand?

I have heard something about the happiest days of a boat owner. I did not know that also applied to tubas.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

My happy times are when i am actually capable of fielding a request while busking.

Today a kid asked for "The wheels on the bus go round and round." I might not have quite nailed it, but sounding it out on the spot was perhaps passable.

A close second was playing in the Hatchshell(sp?) on my birthday, which i guess i've done twice now. First time i was so clueless i tapped my fellow tuba player on the head with my bell when standing afterwards at the condictor's behest.
Thanks for playing!
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

One of mine is an embarrassing "moment" when in 6th grade at our middle school "Christmas Concert". The band director was announcing to all of the parents before the concert what we would be playing......etc. We did not have tubas, so I had to use an old Conn metal sousaphone. I guess I was small for my age at probably 65 pounds or so and the sousaphone at that time was a bit for me to handle. So.......as the director was speaking to the audience I must have been bored, but I did the stupidest thing and leaned back in my chair on the two back legs. The next thing I remember is the loud crash into the kettle drums as the sousaphone and me were providing the audience a "gravity demonstration" as the bell of the horn got behind me and overtook the center of balance. Too bad there were no big rocks in the auditorium at that time, I am sure both of my parents would have gladly crawled under them!! After that, it's all been downhill. :tuba:
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass