Rudy 3/4 Gig bag

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubainsauga

Rudy 3/4 Gig bag

Post by Tubainsauga »

In an era without Cronkhite bags, what would you recommend as a good gig bag for a Rudy 3/4? I'm not crazy about Altieri bags though I do like how high the ride on my back (easier to carry, great for transit) and I'm not sure a Gard bag would work size wise (though I got a new sousaphone bag from them and I am very pleased). I'm leaning towards a Gotz Supersac as I could theoretically get one that should fit it exactly though I'm not sure I've ever seen one in person. Ideally, I'd like as close a fit as possible. Thoughts?
Last edited by Tubainsauga on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Rudy 3/4 Gig bag

Post by bort »

I've had 2 Gotz bags, one for a Rudy 4/4, and one for my Willson -- definitely my favorite top-loading bag (and favorite overall). Build quality is great, and they fit the horns perfectly.

I ordered mine through Bob Tucci's store in Munich (hornboerse.de). The bags are custom made, and they should have no trouble with the measurements. Actually, I just had to tell them what model of tuba I had, and didn't need to send any measurements to them. Guessing that something like your Rudy 3/4 should also be common enough for them. You get to pick your color, padding (double padding is standard, but I highly recommend the triple padded), and options (shoulder strap). This was about 2 years ago... the total price with shipping from Germany was something like $450. The exchange rate was slightly more favorable back then but it's still pretty good right now.

I should also say that the entire ordering process was VERY easy, and really didn't take all that long to receive it. PM me if you have any questions about the details!
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

You can order Götz bags from Thomann, Bob Tucci or Rudi Meinl (among others). Rudi Meinl's bags are made by Götz and have 3 layers of padding, so if you order from other places I'd strongly suggest that you ask for triple padding. The fit for Rudi Meinl tubas is perfect.

While Götz will make a side-loading bag they can only do so with 2 layers of padding.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I think Joe is right; the 3/4 Rudy should fit in the Miraphone made 186 bag.

A bag that is really a nice bag that can be had at a really nice price is the new Pro-Tec PLATINUM bag, not to be confused with the Pro-Tec DELUXE, which leaves a lot to be desired. The Platinum is a really, really-even surprisingly-nice bag, considering how poorly tailored and constructed the Deluxe is from the same company.

I needed a bag for my newly acquired Gronitz PF125, and with Cronkhite no longer around, I was kind of in the same spot you are. So, I took a chance on the Platinum, bought a few pieces of high density foam and black fabric from Jo Ann's, and customized the bag to provide a tight fit. Very happy with it. Set me back about $300 in total.

The Horn Guys have a very lengthy review of the product up on their website, which is much more informative than this post. I would agree with their assessment that the bag isn't a Cronkhite, but it does have some Cronkhite-like qualities.

Good luck with the search.
The Bone Ranger
bugler
bugler

Post by The Bone Ranger »

When I bought my Cronkhite from Horn Guys for my Rudy 3/4, the model number for the Rudy was listed as "186".

Andrew
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
Many, many trombones
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

I can confirm the 186 Cronkhite bag fits just fine for the Rudy 3/4. Its just a smidge large, but feels very stable. As an aside, that bag will fit the 186 old and new style, also an Alex 163 (very snug).
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

If you've got some time on your hands, the Cronkhite cases are going to be reissued under the new ownership of Torpedo Bags. I have no idea how long the wait is to get one.

Read here:
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.