Steven Campbell (Minnesota) - what tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Steven Campbell (Minnesota) - what tuba?

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I'm curious as to what tuba Steven Campbell normally uses in the Minnesota Orchestra. They'll be recording ALL of the Mahler symphonies for the BIS label. That should be quite a show.

Barry Guerrero
Last edited by barry grrr-ero on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Steven Campbell (Minnesota) - what tuba?

Post by bort »

As far as I know, he used to use a PT6, and recently(?) switched to the MRP. It's about a 10 minute walk from my house, I'll have to make it over there for a few!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

That's the rotary valve CC I hope to someday trade my "Neptune" towards. Interesting. Thanks.

http://www.b-and-s.com/en/instruments/c-tubas/mrp-c/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by barry grrr-ero on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Yes, played one at itec last year. Was one of the few tubas I lusted after. And yes, I may have to own the new Mahler recording when available.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Post by ECUorchbound »

He's currently playing on a B&S MRP CC tuba. Has been for over a year I believe.
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Yep he switched to the rotary tuba. Mouthpiece is a Monette 94 or 98. As an aside, I heard their Mahler 2 broadcast live a couple Fridays back and there was something to be desired. The performance itself seemed a little ho-hum. The horns were very muffled and the rest of the brass wasn't all that well miked either. Hopefully that changes for the recordings.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think that hall and the seating arrangement are ho hum there. It's a very good group, though.
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Heard the Mahler broadcast, Vanska's pacing might have not been to everyone's liking. The Prokofiev 5 and Mathis der Maler, they(he) were killing it.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

doublebuzzing wrote:Yep he switched to the rotary tuba. Mouthpiece is a Monette 94 or 98. As an aside, I heard their Mahler 2 broadcast live a couple Fridays back and there was something to be desired. The performance itself seemed a little ho-hum. The horns were very muffled and the rest of the brass wasn't all that well miked either. Hopefully that changes for the recordings.
I thought he was previously using a PT6, not a PT6P? Meh, who cares. He sounds great!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

The BIS label generally makes excellent sounding recordings, so I'm sure the brass will be plenty audible on their upcoming Mahler recordings.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

He used to use a PT6P for many years with the orchestra. Sounds great either way. I don't notice a difference really. I don't know what is up with that hall. It seems like it has a brilliant acoustic but the broadcasts are strange since the renovation. It used to be unbelievably lively in that hall. Now the horns always seem like they are in another room.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I only made it to one performance last year (Dvorak 8), and also thought the horn sound was underwhelming, but not for a lack of effort. I've always thought their seating arrangement could have something to do it as well...?
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Interesting. If the horns aren't cutting through, they should probably experiment moving them elsewhere.

In a community orchestra performance of Mahler 6 (I've been in several) - performed in a dead sounding multipurpose hall - I talked the conductor into placing the horns across the back, dead center. It made a HUGE difference. No pun intended, but it gave them the confidence to 'take the bull by the horns'.