Mahler 1

The bulk of the musical talk
cddtuba
lurker
lurker

Mahler 1

Post by cddtuba »

Hello!
NYO has their audition rep up for their 2018 tour and it includes the excerpt from Mahler 1 (I'll include it the link to it below). It includes the 'D' in the staff that goes for 10 measures. Any suggestions on how to play through that?

https://www.carnegiehall.org/uploadedFi ... A_2018.pdf" target="_blank
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Mahler 1

Post by THE TUBA »

I like to use 1+2, but sometimes I have to pull out the 1st valve slide a smidge. :tuba:

Joking aside, you have two options: 1. Circular breathe. 2. Take a breath in there somewhere. For me personally, I try to play super soft, use a little vibrato, then take a breath in time with the vibrato as needed. The tuba is technically the only instrument sustaining a D, but the timpani and double basses are doing D/A quarter-notes by that point and the sustained note is far from the most important thing going on. Most audition panels know that you'll have to breathe sometime, and it is mostly a question of if you can do it tastefully and musically.
[/post]
Mark

Post by Mark »

THE TUBA wrote:Most audition panels know that you'll have to breathe sometime, and it is mostly a question of if you can do it tastefully and musically.
+1

And to be clear, musically includes knowing what is happening with the rest of the orchestra and where you can hide that breath.
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:Change bow direction.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Even the strings can't play a note indefinitely without changing bow direction. Although, some of them are so good at it that it is not noticeable.
zombie2u
lurker
lurker

Post by zombie2u »

bloke wrote:Change bow direction.
good one