Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188 Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188

Postby indiaanderson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I've recently bought a gold brass Miraphone 188, and I'm looking for recommendations for mouthpieces. I'll probably end up going to Dillon Music and talking to Matt there anyways, but I thought I could find a good idea of where to start here.

Currently I play on a Conn Helleberg, which is nice, but I feel like the high register can easily be strained and the low register is thin. I've also noticed my endurance in the higher register is not ideal. But I've also just started playing CC tuba, so that could just be me getting used to the instrument. Before, I used the Helleberg on an old 1960s BBb Miraphone 186, and it served me pretty well, it gave nice clarity and I like the larger cup size. Before the Helleberg I played on a Schilke 66, which had a nice, round sound, but too small of a cup. I've tried it with my 188, doesn't work for me.

So I'm wondering, what mouthpieces should I try out that have the same or larger sized cup as the Helleberg but might produce a little more of a rounded sound?
indiaanderson
lurker
lurker

Re: Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Message Bloke on this board. He will give you great advice and has a ton of mouthpiece combinations. I highly recommend the setup I have in my signature block below. Best mouthpiece I have ever played and I think it would be a perfect fit for what you are looking for.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby pjdicris » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Try the Warburton Arnold Jacobs. It's what I used to use.
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Postby groth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm

indiaanderson wrote:I've recently bought a gold brass Miraphone 188, and I'm looking for recommendations for mouthpieces. I'll probably end up going to Dillon Music and talking to Matt there anyways, but I thought I could find a good idea of where to start here.

Currently I play on a Conn Helleberg, which is nice, but I feel like the high register can easily be strained and the low register is thin. I've also noticed my endurance in the higher register is not ideal. But I've also just started playing CC tuba, so that could just be me getting used to the instrument. Before, I used the Helleberg on an old 1960s BBb Miraphone 186, and it served me pretty well, it gave nice clarity and I like the larger cup size. Before the Helleberg I played on a Schilke 66, which had a nice, round sound, but too small of a cup. I've tried it with my 188, doesn't work for me.

So I'm wondering, what mouthpieces should I try out that have the same or larger sized cup as the Helleberg but might produce a little more of a rounded sound?

If you've been successful with the Helleberg already, may I suggest the PT-50 or PT-88 mouthpieces? Either of those are a thinner rim profile and deeper cup similar to the Helleberg that were virtually made with larger German rotary tubas in mind. Both can be had second hand for cheap as well.
60's Amati-Stencil BBb rotary tuba
PT Mouthpieces Exclusively
76' Precision Bass Guitar
groth
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I used a PT-88 on mine and loved it.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby indiaanderson » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks everyone! I'll have to try these out.
indiaanderson
lurker
lurker

Postby apurdum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 am

I have tried several different mouthpieces with my 188 and I always end up coming back to the Miraphone TU29 that came with it.
apurdum
lurker
lurker

Postby bort » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am

I actually don't remember very well what I used and when with my 188. I'm pretty sure I used a G&W Baer MMVI, Blokepiece Symphony, a few of the Miraphone mouthpieces, a PT-88, and something else (a Geib or a Mike Finn)?

Honestly, I found that the tuba was NOT very mouthpiece sensitive, and worked well with just about anything. I probably liked the Blokepiece the best, but I don't like stainless steel and I moved on from that.

Is this a new or old gold brass 188?
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Roger Lewis » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:37 am

For solo and quintet work I use a Miraphone Rose Solo TU27. For a wider sound I use something similar to a PT88.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Postby kathott » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Model 188 is a great and sometimes overlooked tuba. I have played and owned a lot of Mirafones! In my 186 CC I use an old Rose Solo. In my gold brass 188 CC I settled on the PT 83.
Last edited by kathott on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huttl CC, six valve (with special mute springboard)
kathott
bugler
bugler

Postby EMC » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Pt-48 imo would be about what you want
EMC
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ppalan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:27 pm

kathott wrote:Model 188 is a great and sometimes overlooked tuba. I have played and owned a lot of Mirafones! In my 186-CC I use an old Rose Solo. In my gold brass 188-CC I waffle between a PT 83 and the Mirafone TU 27 (the newer Rose Solo).

What's the difference between the old Rose Solo and the newer Rose Solo and how would I know which one I have?

Thanks
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet