Which tuning bit for Conn 20J? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Which tuning bit for Conn 20J?

Postby pecktime » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Does anyone know which Conn tuning bits will fit a 20j?

I know there's a new style and an old style, does it matter which one?

Thanks for your help! :tuba:
MW 3450 Yamaha 621cc
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Re: Which tuning bit for Conn 20J?

Postby the elephant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Old.

If I understand correctly, Conn-Selmer now uses the King bits on all their sousaphones. If so, the King-style bits are an upper and a lower. One fits the horn, one fits the mouthpiece. They are not interchangeable at all. The old-style Conn bits are two identical parts. They look obviously different from the King-style bits.

The 2XJ series tubas have not been made in decades, so old makes sense, anyway...
Last edited by the elephant on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm

If you're using a bit, the same as fit a 20K sousaphone.

Old-style/new-style only pertains to model 36K now being defacto a King sousaphone.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby pecktime » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks all!
MW 3450 Yamaha 621cc
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 pm

$80 USD on the web for a pair (ouch!)

Most all of the 2XJ tubas seem to be tune-able down to ref. A=440 and lower without a tuning bit...in my experience.

With a tuning bit, the low range of a 2XJ becomes subtly more "growling" in its resonance...(again) in my experience.
bloke

Postby the elephant » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 am

bloke wrote:$80 USD on the web for a pair (ouch!)

Most all of the 2XJ tubas seem to be tune-able down to ref. A=440 and lower without a tuning bit...in my experience.

With a tuning bit, the low range of a 2XJ becomes subtly more "growling" in its resonance...(again) in my experience.

It also allows for some adjustability in the mouthpiece angle. I do not generally use them, but I have, and my experience playing the horn was better with it — a little. If you have one, great. If not, don't sweat it, unless you have a band director friend with an old one in a drawer in decent shape. That is cheap or free. Free is always better, of course...
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Lee Stofer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 pm

In my experience, (and I've played these horns a lot), I would not want to play one without a bit, unless it had the leadpipe changed to a longer one during an overhaul. I can accurately find the pitches a lot better with the bit, and it does offer mouthpiece angle adjustment, which is another big plus. Plus, if you call certain tuba shops, they will sell you one bit, new or used, so you don't have to buy two. . . . .
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Return to TubeNet