Rounded Rim Helleberg Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Rounded Rim Helleberg

Postby mshores » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm

What options are there for a Helleberg style mouthpiece but with a more rounded rim? I haven't played my Helleberg in a long time but now it's a perfect match for my current tuba. However, the rim just isn't comfortable anymore.

Thanks for any info!
Matthew
mshores
bugler
bugler

Re: Rounded Rim Helleberg

Postby rudysan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

Maybe the Miraphone TU31 (their Helleberg model) has a rounder rim ? Or go with a GW Baer Original.
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 am

How round? The Schilke / Laskey rim is not as flat as a Helleberg, based on a couple Schilkes anyway.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tuben » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 am

I just picked up via ebay a mint condition Dillon H1 (Helleberg). The rim is much too rounded and cushy for my liking. PM if you're interested.
tuben
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot

Postby BrooklynBass » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:38 am

The Canadian Brass Arnold Jacobs sounds like it fits your description (maybe). I had that one for a minute (sold it and another mpc toward a Stofer Geib).

Wedge also makes an "ergonomic" Helleberg model, so that might be worth checking out.

Most of all, I'd recommend the modular stuff; you can get a HB cup/shank and screw on any of the MANY Houser/Sellmansberger/Parker rim offerings. I found my bliss with the Laskey/Helleberg rim.

Talk to Bloke and/or TubaBike (Mike Parker).
Eastman 632S "Stella" (Parker & Stofer-Geib mpcs)
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
In search of: CC sousa or helicon solution
--------------
Member, Brooklyn Wind Symphony
Director, L Train Brass Band
BrooklynBass
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am

As far as production/1-piece mouthpieces are concerned, slightly smaller-cupped "Helleberg" mouthpieces seem to often be paired with more rounded (and often, asymmetrical) rims.

<WARNING: PROMOTION OF MY OWN PRODUCTS>
None of my four ("Sellmansberger") mouthpiece cup offerings are "Helleberg" cups ([1] I don't personally use "Helleberg" cups / [2] plenty of other makers offer them), but (as my mouthpieces are 3-piece modular) some of my legion rim offerings are "flat"-Helleberg and "rounded"-Hellebergs (rims similar to rims found on "Helleberg"-cup mouthpieces). Both of those styles (flat and rounded) are offered in several sizes - where the width and shape stays the same, but the circle diameter and opening size changes. My rim that is more like a "Chicago"-style Helleberg rim (NOT flat, and asymmetrical) is called "HLB2", and is offered in a size range from 32.6mm up to 33.5mm.

The manufacturer of my mouthpieces makes some "Helleberg" cups (more than one "Helleberg" design, I'm fairly certain) for another designer. Most of the back-bores (interiors of threaded shanks) typically offered with those Helleberg cups are quite large (to my personal tastes), but I believe that my own "Symphony" (medium-large throat with reverse-taper throat), "X" ( medium large throat with standard taper), and "Orchestra Grand" (conservative throat opening) fit some of those "Helleberg"-style cups...and I'm about as certain as I can be that my "HLB2" rims fit those "Helleberg" cups as well. I can have one of my back-bores (shanks) and one of my HLB2 rims combined with one of those "Helleberg" cups, and offer you a mouthpiece that you might like. Again, they are 3-piece modular and stainless steel...so they aren't the lowest-priced mouthpieces available.
</WARNING: PROMOTION OF MY OWN PRODUCTS>
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Return to TubeNet