Same horn different valve set orientation Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Same horn different valve set orientation

Postby DouglasJB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

While scrolling through used horns I noticed that Baltimore Brass and Dillon both have used Kanstul 66 Eb tubas, both are Front action but the one at Baltimore Brass the valve set is set at a 45° angle where the one at Dillons has a valve set that is set in a vertical row. For a newer horn design (not 20 years old) why does it have 2 different layouts?

If someone who is much better with technology wants to somehow post the pictures side by side it would certainly help those who are interested in seeing the difference.

Thanks Everyone!
5V 6/4 Cerveny 691
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Same horn different valve set orientation

Postby bloke » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:21 am

Some of the odd-appearing front-action valvesets seen here-and-there (particularly casings 1-2-3) can be identified as clusters originally designed for top-action use with after-engineered exit knuckles so those clusters can also be shoehorned into front-action use.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby YORK-aholic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

The camera angles are different. The silver one is looking almost directly down the valve stems, whereas the lacquered horn is taken as if the camera had moved towards the big end of the bottom bow.

But is is more than that. The horns ARE different. One may have been a prototype or an early model while they were still working things out. Look at the main tuning slides:

I put the two images together, one on top of the other:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lDP-krmxaBLVpFMW1fdFo0b3c/view?usp=sharing
Some old Yorks and Martins
YORK-aholic
4 valves
4 valves

Postby the elephant » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 am

The bugle is the same up to where it runs down to the MTS. From the MTS to the receiver it shares little to nothing between the two horns. The CR rotor is the same, the piston set is essentially the same, looking at where the ports are, but some of the port knuckles are oriented differently. Just about every other part differs. Two different tubas on the same frame.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby opus37 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 am

Try calling Kansul and asking if there were any changes over time to the design. Lee Stofer may have some information too. Look at current pictures from the Kanstul website to see which design is the most current.

I looked at the pictures again and the ones on the Kanstul website. I strongly believe one of these horns is a 33 in BBb and the other is a 66 in Eb. Specifically, the silver one is the 66 S and the brass one is a 33 S.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1906 York 640
1912 Martin Renowned Monster Eb
1932 Conn 28K Sousaphone
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby KiltieTuba » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:29 am

opus37 wrote:Try calling Kansul and asking if there were any changes over time to the design. Lee Stofer may have some information too. Look at current pictures from the Kanstul website to see which design is the most current.

I looked at the pictures again and the ones on the Kanstul website. I strongly believe one of these horns is a 33 in BBb and the other is a 66 in Eb. Specifically, the silver one is the 66 S and the brass one is a 33 S.

Where are the extra wraps on the supposed BBb?

KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet