Mouthpiece for old Elkhart Conn Eb??

The bulk of the musical talk
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Mouthpiece for old Elkhart Conn Eb??

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Hi everyone,
Can someone please recommend a good mouthpiece for an old Elkhart Conn Eb? It has the smaller "Euro" receiver (my "American" shank mouthpieces barely penetrate). I'm teaching camp at Univ of Southern Maine, and one of my euph players brought the horn in. Very cool old horn! I know the old Elkhart Conn tbones are amazing instruments, so I'd love to get my hands on a good mouthpiece to try this! Also would love any comments/stories/opinions on these...Serial # 156120.
Thanks so much! Jobey
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Mouthpiece for old Elkhart Conn Eb??

Post by Jobey Wilson »

Thanks Mark!! He also has a matching baritone, same vintage, very cool!
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

I typically re-fit older tubas like that with a new receiver, with an American modern standard shank size. That way, you're not limited in your mouthpiece quest. When the old receiver is one solid piece, it is possible to chuck the receiver into the lathe and re-cut the inside to accept a modern mouthpiece. and the instrument still looks original.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
largobone
bugler
bugler

Post by largobone »

So far, I've been using my Bach 1-1/4G (bass tbn) with my '61 14J and it works okay. Definitely very small for a tuba but it works all across the range. A few days ago I tried my new Kelly 18 (American shank) and although it doesn't go in very far, it works relatively well. If you find a mouthpiece you really like you can always have the shank turned down by your tech so it fits. Many euphonium players do this if they have an older Besson with a euro (medium) shank with good results.
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

SteveP wrote:I've got a Wick 3 (no L) for sale. If you're interested let me know via pm. It's in like-new condition, in box, with plastic bag and brochure. Played on it for a couple of hours and realized it wasn't for me.

Steve
+1. I used a Wick 3 on a Martin Eb to great success some years ago.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

iiipopes wrote:
SteveP wrote:I've got a Wick 3 (no L) for sale. If you're interested let me know via pm. It's in like-new condition, in box, with plastic bag and brochure. Played on it for a couple of hours and realized it wasn't for me.

Steve
+1. I used a Wick 3 on a Martin Eb to great success some years ago.
+2. I use a Wick 3 for a similar Conn "Colonial" Eb. As I understand it, any of the Wick "no-L" series would fit the receiver if you're looking for a different cup size.