More newbie questions (BAT?) Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

More newbie questions (BAT?)

Postby RobC » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi-

Just so I feel more like a tuba player...

(1) Does "BAT" stand for "big tuba"? Or something else?
(2) I notice that some people describe their tubas as "bugles"- why is this?
(3) In the trombone world there is a big deal made of mouthpiece selection- many players have tried many mouthpieces- doesn't seem to be such an obsession for tuba players. Maybe Doug Elliott can answer this one?

Cheers-
RobC
lurker
lurker

Re: More newbie questions (BAT?)

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:17 am

RobC wrote:(1) Does "BAT" stand for "big tuba"? Or something else?

Big *** Tuba — Started out as a description (I think first coined by Tony Clements in the late 1990s) for 6/4 front piston tubas like the CSO Yorks, the big Holtons and Conns, the whole American Grand Orchestra style, as Conn called them back in the old days. Now it means whatever the "cool kids" want it to mean, because everyone here is so desperate to be able to call their horn a BAT. It is *that* cool of a term. :roll:

"Is *my* tuba a BAT? Can I call my horn a BAT? Is this Getzen Caravelle a BAT, too?" HAHAHA!!!

RobC wrote:(2) I notice that some people describe their tubas as "bugles"- why is this?

Some are speaking about contrabass bugles in GG with two valves used in DCI until they moved the 3-valved G bugles, which was before the current Bb/F horns used today. Classic corps from the 1980s and early 1990s.

Some are speaking about the tuba body without the valves, which would be a true bugle, only able to play a few notes. Lots of us work on or build horns and we are frequently speaking about the part of the horn that follows the main tuning slide or valve section and runs on out to the bell.

RobC wrote:(3) In the trombone world there is a big deal made of mouthpiece selection- many players have tried many mouthpieces- doesn't seem to be such an obsession for tuba players.

Sure it is. This site has many mouthpiece posts every day if you look for them. The big difference is that there are probably more new trombone mouthpieces out right now than in the tuba world. We have our hot and heavy mouthpiece times when a new company offers stuff for us. Trust me. There are some diehard mouthpiece freaks on this site. I am not one. I own more than most people, though. I teach and I also like to find the best mouthpiece for a given tuba. (I play for a living so I have like five horns sitting here right now.) I have like 45 or 50 mouthpieces. Most of them are old junk. I use them to zero in on what a new-to-me tuba might work best with. However, unlike the freaks, I finally settle on one and never use anything else with that horn again. Everyone is different.

Best of luck and welcome!

Wade
Photobucket blows. You have been updated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: More newbie questions (BAT?)

Postby RobC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 am

Nice one. Thanks!
RobC
lurker
lurker

Return to TubeNet