One bit or two? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

One bit or two?

Postby Hank74 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 pm

I wanna ask here is there is any difference between using only one sousaphone bit or two when playing. Does it affect the pitch or sound? Usually, a player would use two. But I've seen instances where only one is used.

Chime in with your thoughts. :tuba:
Hank74

Jupiter 594 & 590 BBb Sousaphones
Yamaha YSH 411 BBb Sousaphone
King 2340 BBb Sousaphone
King 1240 and 1241 BBb Tubas
Yamaha YBB 321 BBb Tuba
Reynolds BBb Tuba
Dynasty DEG BBb Marching Tuba
Hank74
3 valves
3 valves

Re: One bit or two?

Postby lost » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Depends on ergonomics and how you hold the sousaphone and what feels/sounds better? The main tuning slide likes two on my sousaphones...
lost

Postby toobagrowl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

For me, I usually use one bit when playing sousaphone. More comfortable and better response. Remember, sousaphone bits are reverse-taper, so it affects sound and response a little. But because I use just one bit, I have to pull the main tuning slide out a bit more.
Each time you add a bit, the more length you add to the main open bugle, thus making it lower/flatter in pitch. So if you use two bits, you don't need your main tuning slide out as far. The mouthpiece you use also has an affect --(how far it goes in, cup depth, etc). :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby KiltieTuba » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 pm

toobagrowl wrote:For me, I usually use one bit when playing sousaphone. More comfortable and better response. Remember, sousaphone bits are reverse-taper, so it affects sound and response a little. But because I use just one bit, I have to pull the main tuning slide out a bit more.
Each time you add a bit, the more length you add to the main open bugle, thus making it lower/flatter in pitch. So if you use two bits, you don't need your main tuning slide out as far. The mouthpiece you use also has an affect --(how far it goes in, cup depth, etc). :idea:

Depends on the manufacturer. Some bits are essentially an adjustable leadpipe.

I once played on a sousaphone were I could use one bit or two and have no discernible difference in pitch or tone, even using the same mouthpiece and not changing the main slide.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet