Mic for Tuba Live Performance Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Mic for Tuba Live Performance

Postby zangerzzz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:24 am

I'm lookin at 2 models for Traditional Jazz Gigs.
Audio-Technica ATM350UL Cardioid Condenser Horn Microphone - Long
Link
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350UL" target="_blank

DPA d:vote 4099T
Link
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099T" target="_blank

Do yall have any experience with these mic's or do you have a diffrent recommendation?
THNKZ!
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Re: Mic for Tuba Live Performance

Postby BrooklynBass » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:55 am

There's a long, detailed thread about mic preferences around here somewhere.

I thought an SM57, in a sock, tossed down the bell was the "trad" way to go, no?
Eastman 632S "Stella" (Parker & Stofer-Geib mpcs)
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
In search of: CC sousa or helicon solution
--------------
Member, Brooklyn Wind Symphony
Director, L Train Brass Band
BrooklynBass
bugler
bugler

Postby pecktime » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

I've owned and used the dpa4099, my advice is to get the 57 or similar dynamic mic.

You can throw the mic down the bell for that electric bass sound, or mount it above the bell for a more natural sound.

I bought a tuba mic clamp from Thomann in germany and it works great.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/nz/km_10000_mikrohalter_fuer_tuba.htm?ref=search_rslt_Tuba+mic+clamp_146103_2

Ime dynamics sound better than condenser microphones for tuba.
MW 3450 Yamaha 621cc
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby Tampaworth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm

When you throw the socked mike down the Tuba (or Sousa) and it travels down to the bottom bow, is there any issue with tuning relative to how far the mike descends.... or does it just pick up what the instrument vibrates at no matter how far down?
2014 Wisemann 900 / 2013 Mack 410 / 1970? Conn 2j / 1909 King H.N. White Helicon
Tampaworth
bugler
bugler

Postby BrooklynBass » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Tampaworth wrote:When you throw the socked mike down the Tuba (or Sousa) and it travels down to the bottom bow, is there any issue with tuning relative to how far the mike descends.... or does it just pick up what the instrument vibrates at no matter how far down?

While I see your thinking in that the relative geometry (length of tubing) of an instrument affects pitch... the pitch of a given note is determined at the mouthpiece and the resulting resonance remains consistent throughout the instrument. I don't know if I'm using the best syntax in my explanation, but in (slightly) fewer words...

No, a mic down the bell won't detect a different pitch than it would outside the bell. Theoretically, by addding mass inside the bugle, it could make the tuning a tad sharp overall, but this can be compensated for via the MTS.

For further proof of this concept, see tubist Wolff who has a tranducer in his mouthpiece(!). It works because the resonance remains constistant regardless of mic location.
Eastman 632S "Stella" (Parker & Stofer-Geib mpcs)
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
In search of: CC sousa or helicon solution
--------------
Member, Brooklyn Wind Symphony
Director, L Train Brass Band
BrooklynBass
bugler
bugler

Postby ppalan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi,
I've recently been experimenting with a set up using a Shure Beta 52A kick mic https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Beta52 and a Kelly Shu Bass Drum mic mount. http://www.kellyshu.com/kelly_shu_composite.html I have used only with my Miraphone 186 CC so far and it seems to work well. I got the Shure mic for c. $100 on ebay and the Shu was about $50. I want to try using a short flexible goose neck on the mount to get even more adjustability as to distance from the bell. I don't want to sound like a bass which seems to be the result of simply dropping the mic in the bell. I play in a "German" brass band (Trumpets, Trombones, Euphs, Tuba and Drums). Our repertoire consists of traditional waltzes, polkas, ländlers, marches,etc as well as some big band, German pop stuff/party tunes, and a bit of Rock n Roll and Funk. Good luck with your search.
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I have an AMT that I like a lot: Applied Microphone Technology.
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 pm

I wouldn't toss any microphone down the bell of any type of tuba, unless I desired for the sound to imitate that of all of the e.q. bars being pulled all the way to the left.

For several reasons that should seem fairly obvious, most tuba players probably should be very conservative about how much money they spend on any microphones that are taken into public venues.

ppalan wrote:Hi,
I've recently been experimenting with a set up using a Shure Beta 52A kick mic...

yep. 8)
I've used a conservatively-priced (same price range) "kick" mic - combined with a conservatively-priced wireless system, along this homemade aluminum adjustable support for it. I carefully fashioned the clamps so that (combined with the fact that they are soft metal) they fit nicely around a tuba's bell rim bead. Back when I was using this instrument regularly with this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmbvHtgLKI&list=PLrsRma9EsztI7N5TbVxw_8gTW7H4OgxHY , I would go into a Peavey amp with a 15" BW speaker. The sound was quite satisfactory (with conservative e.q. settings), in my judgement.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Beervangelist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 pm

There is a previous thread -- under "amping up" I believe.

I have been working on dialing in my rig for the last couple of years, and I play in a somewhat loudish-rock setting; playing blues, soul, rock and funk. I think the complexity of your shopping will depend on where you're sending the mic and what type of tone you're going for.

While it may be traditional, that method of dropping a mic in a sock down the bell drives me crazy. It may be a familiar, stylized sound for some genres, but it lacks clarity and tone. Usually, it sounds like someone beat-boxing into a bass drum.

I have upgraded from a clip on Shure condenser mic into the very same Beta52 and Shu-mount that was mentioned earlier. I love it! From there, it's heading to my bass cabinet via a preamp, so I'm able to take advantage of the nice low-end it brings. If you're going straight to a PA, the Beta 52 is still nice, but it may need some EQ.

What I love about the Shu mount is that it's a simple and sturdy mic mount that would let me swap out any other mic I'd like, I just haven't needed to try any others. I like that the Beta 52 articulates in a way that I can adjust to various angles. I choose to point it at the flat of the bell, rather than the center. In my experience, the center is way too boomy. I get better tone catching the sound as it rolls off past the mic.

I'd love to hear from others on mic placement, but that's been my experience so far. It also catches less wind at outdoor gigs.

Shu + Shure Beta 52 Pictured

Click here for larger image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kveiu9k14vi5h ... 0.png?dl=0
Attachments
Nicholas Fred Park Theatre small.png
Nicholas Fred Park Theatre small.png (82.7 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Last edited by Beervangelist on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bb Conn 22J Recording Bell - 1933
Bb "Metro - Lockie Music Exchange" stenciled B&M York Master Sousaphone (Early 50s?)
1997 Carvin 5-String fretless bass
http://www.strappingowls.com
Beervangelist
bugler
bugler

Postby David A. Goldfarb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:18 pm

I've been very pleased with the Shure Beta 98 H/C clip-on condenser for trombone (my main instrument) on stage. I get much cleaner separation from other horns in the mix than a vocal mic or SM57 and little to no feedback even when I set the horn on the stand with the mic close to a monitor. As I venture into doubling on tuba, I'm working on something like this to get good mic placement:

Tuba,Shure98HC.jpg
Tuba,Shure98HC.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 438 times

Those clamps are from an office supply shop for clipping a document to a laptop screen, attached to some thin modeling plywood, and the mic clips to the plywood. I should get my first chance to test it out on stage in a few weeks, but my tests so far sound good.

That SHU mount and kick drum mic look attractive. For now, though, any time I'm playing the tuba in the funk band, it's going to be a double, and most of the clubs we play barely have enough channels on the mixer for a whole 8-piece band, so one mic that I can move between horns is a better option.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
David A. Goldfarb
lurker
lurker

Postby pecktime » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Here's a photo of the K&M tuba clamp with a sennheiser dynamic
MW 3450 Yamaha 621cc
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby Beervangelist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:32 am

+1 for the jacket!
Bb Conn 22J Recording Bell - 1933
Bb "Metro - Lockie Music Exchange" stenciled B&M York Master Sousaphone (Early 50s?)
1997 Carvin 5-String fretless bass
http://www.strappingowls.com
Beervangelist
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet