Looking for gig bag recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Looking for gig bag recommendations

Post by Lew »

The gig bag that I bought with my Besson 983 Eb has pretty much fallen apart and I am now using the hard case with it all the time. While this certainly protects it, I am having some issues that mean I need to lighten things up. Does anybody have a suggestion for the best gig bag to use for this horn? Right now I am debating between the Gard and Pro-Tec Platinum bags. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Re: Looking for gig bag recommendations

Post by shinytuba7 »

I'd say the Miraphone gig bags are worth looking into. Try getting in touch with the Horn Guys to see if they think any of the various sizes are a good fit.

They have a nice chart to show which bags go with which horns: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tu ... -gig-bag-1
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Take a look at the Wessex website. Good design, well-made, and many size choices.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

Altieri
zombie2u
lurker
lurker

Post by zombie2u »

Kind of unrelated, but why do people like gig bags so much? I had one for a Quantum Contra and it just was really inconvenient. I'd rather wheel up to a venue than carry it on my back anyhow. Eventually the back strap broke so that didn't work. It was an older Protec model, wasn't mine and same happened to another one the guy who owned it used. Was weird.
zombie2u
lurker
lurker

Post by zombie2u »

I will probably invest in a good gig bag and hard case for whichever tuba I end up buying
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I really like my Miraphone as far as top loaders go. It is comfortabe to carry and it has a hard board in the lid to offer a little more bell protection.
As I said elsewhere, I wish they still had the small mouthpiece pouch inside of the lid of the case, but it offers pretty decent protection for a gig bag.
The e-flat/f Miraphone bag does says it fits a 983 but is a tight fit.

These are way better than Protecs.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Protec Deluxe-Not a very good bag.

Protec Platinum-Very nice bag.

No comparison between the two, in my opinion.

The miraphone bags are really nice top loaders, but if you're looking for a side loader, the Protec Platinum is pretty darned close to a Cronkhite

Not as good as a Cronkhite, mind you, but for a little over $200, they are a very reasonable facsimile until the Cronkhite's get cranked out again......
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Messina Covers can make you a custom bag that will look really good. However, they're more money than most bags.

http://www.messinacovers.net/low-brass" target="_blank
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Post by Mtrhed »

I agree with Barry, Messina make a very nice side loading bag. I had them build a custom bag for my 2XJ front action conversion and I've use it hauling that monster several time a week for a few years now. The case is as tough as nails. Other then a bit of dirt it shows no wear. Just like anything else, quality you pay for. A couple extra $100 bills is nothing when your protecting a horn worth $1,000's.
Mtrhed
Keizer,OR
1912-14 Martin BB 6/4 rotary valve top-action
Conn BB 21J -F/A 4+1 conversion "Conn-Zilla"
2014 Wessex "Mighty Midget"
1918 York BB Model #33
King BB 1241 w/both bells
Caravelle B Commuter
Bruscher B Helicon
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

gig bag is worse than useless. zero protection, and makes the instrument harder to handle, doubling (or whatever) the chance that you damage it.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

True, but with a gig bag it would fit in my car more easily.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Depends on what you are defending against. If you are defending against yourself, just go caseless. You will automatically be careful carrying your instrument. Nothing will ever happen to it. Put it in the backseat, put a blanket over it if you want, you can even buckle it down if want.

If you are defending against others, such having to move it out of their way or load/unload it, or against transport in a bus bay or equipment trailer, hard case is only way.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

The point of gig bags and soft cases are that they DO provide some protection against scratches and smaller dings. They also provide an easier, safer way to carry all your music stuff at the same time, all in one bag/case ---> tuba, mouthpieces, valve oil, sheet music, etc. Try carrying all that stuff on a regular basis without a bag; it would suck. Also, I'd much rather have my tuba & stuff in a bag while on my way to a gig or rehearsal while transporting in a car. A bare tuba bouncing around in the back seat or trunk of your car is certainly less safe than if it were in (even) a cheap/budget soft bag :!: :idea:
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Glen Cronkhite bags they are expensive but very good quality.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Jess Haney wrote:Glen Cronkhite bags they are expensive but very good quality.
This.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Götz bags are really nice!
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I still have the same bag for almost 20 years.
It'll probably out live me.
I went to an outdoor sport shop. They often have a department or a connection who'll make custom backpacks for every purpose.
The difference is, most gig bag shops make beautiful soft bags you'd want to sleep in...which eventually fall apart.
Outdoor sport backpacks are all about durability and wear comfort.
So I have a very large padded top-loader backpack with padding all around, extra on the two side I set the tuba down the most (bottom bow and the left side). On size fits all. My Mira. 1291 goes in as well as my Kanstul 80 (uh, not at the same time). I use the straps to loosen or tighten the fit, just like with back packs.
No zippers (except for the two pouches). Fantastic comfortable straps for wearing it on my back or over my shoulder.
I paid about €200-250 for it. Of coarse that was 20 years ago.
investment of a lifetime.
Just have it made large enough for a huge tuba and you'll always have a usable gig bag.
cstan
lurker
lurker

Post by cstan »

A friend of mine has a Miraphone gig bag for his CC tuba, which I like very much. I would like to buy one for my Besson 983. Does anybody know which Miraphone gig bag model fit the Besson 983?
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

cstan wrote:A friend of mine has a Miraphone gig bag for his CC tuba, which I like very much. I would like to buy one for my Besson 983. Does anybody know which Miraphone gig bag model fit the Besson 983?
Check this out. You can also call Hornguys. They know their stuff.

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tu ... -gig-bag-1" target="_blank
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb