Low Register

The bulk of the musical talk
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Low Register

Post by BBruce107 »

Hello all I am curious of some help with low register playing. I play a Rudy 5/4 CC which from what I have heard from other people who have played them to have a HUGE low register. I have not had as much luck to hit that sweet spot in that register. What are some things I can do to help improve my consistency down from low G to the pedal C. I can play the notes but without a lot of focus or fullness in my sound. I have recently had this issue after switching to rotary valves tubas and other tubas before with piston valves were much easier for me in that register but due to health I had to switch to rotary valves. I appreciate the help!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Low Register

Post by bort »

A few thoughts:

The Rudy 5/4 has a very large bore, so it's going to take a lot of air down there. It won't be like a piston tuba where you can just blow air as hard as you want. You need to learn what kind of air the horn needs, and build up from there. Start with just hitting those notes, and making sure it's a good centered sound, at whatever dynamic level you can do. Spend a lot of time down there, and get used to what the horn needs to make it "go." It very likely will be different than other tubas you've played, and with a different kind of resistance.

When I owned a Rudy Meinl, I found that I really had to stay on top of it to make it work well. If I played infrequently, the tuba reminded me of it. If I played often, I was rewarded for it. I consider these "true" professional instruments, in that they seem to be best suited for people who play them constantly, not just here or there. Just my opinion.

Also, if you haven't had it serviced recently, might want to get it checked out. If the rotors are out of alignment, it can cause funky stuff like this -- seems okay in some registers, but worse in others.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Been a while since I owned a rotor c,but in addition to above suggestions, just play down there a lot. I finally got the snedecor low etudes and have been spending time down there. It works. Our brains are pretty awesome, and will adapt to most things thrown at them, given time.
Last edited by MikeMason on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Porky
bugler
bugler

Post by Porky »

Phil Teele studies are really good for stuff like this. Start at whatever note you can play low without a shift and work lower. You can get a copy a Horn guys or Hickeys. It's well worth the 15 bucks.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

In the linked video, Fritz Kaenzig discusses his first lesson with Arnold Jacobs. During the lesson, Jacobs asked him what he needed help with, and Kaenzig said "low register." Mr. Jacobs reply is rather enlightening.

The rest of the interview is excellent as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9quZqRp40" target="_blank
Andy