St. Petersburg rotary linkage

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

St. Petersburg rotary linkage

Post by Dan Schultz »

When did St. Petersburg change from the 'S' linkage system to an updated ball linkage?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I seem to remember early ads from the Tuba Exchange talking about how Vince had worked with St. Petersburg to improve the linkage to a ball type before importing them. I think that any of the St. Petes sold through the TE had ball linkage, not "S" type. Any TE versions that I have seen have had plastic ball and socket linkage, and I believe that the newer models have replaced this with metal linkage.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

A.K. wrote:St.Petersburg will never do it, check www.tuba.com
It looks to me like the linkages shown are metal ball and socket... not 'S' links.

I am curious as to when St Pete went to the updated ball and socket linkage. I recently ran across a St Pete that is being advertised as "new" and "it's been on the shelf for a couple of years" that has 'S' links on it. I wondering if maybe the advertiser is stretching the "couple of years" a bit.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

St Pete Linkage

Post by Chuck Jackson »

I think that Vince imports the St. pete's and George McCracken was doing the valve conversion, at least this was story when he first starting importing them. As for now, it's anyones guess.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I am curious as to when St Pete went to the updated ball and socket linkage. I recently ran across a St Pete that is being advertised as "new" and "it's been on the shelf for a couple of years" that has 'S' links on it. I wondering if maybe the advertiser is stretching the "couple of years" a bit.[/quote]

I saw that, too, on that auction site. I wasn't aware that the tuba was offered in raw brass, either. Sounds like quite a sales pitch! :roll:
Bearin' up!
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Not schooled in the Cyrillic alphabet I yet may dare this tesis:

The Russians dropped the S-linkage, when they after the advent of their post-commi-reborn-nationalism realised, that S doesn't belong to their national letters.

Another political posting from

Klaus
djtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by djtuba »

Just to let you guys know that you can order the conversion kit from Tuba Exchange. I have done 2 out of 6 so far for a local High school and so far they are very easy to do.

Dennis
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

djtuba wrote:Just to let you guys know that you can order the conversion kit from Tuba Exchange. I have done 2 out of 6 so far for a local High school and so far they are very easy to do. Dennis
The purpose of my original post was to attempt to date a St. Petersburg tuba. Updating the linkage is no problem but I would use the Dubro links as opposed to buying a conversion kit that costs lots more.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

imperialbari wrote:Not schooled in the Cyrillic alphabet I yet may dare this tesis:

The Russians dropped the S-linkage, when they after the advent of their post-commi-reborn-nationalism realised, that S doesn't belong to their national letters.
Sure, Klaus, but who wants C-linkages on their tuba?

Maybe that's why there also aren't any Greek tuba manufacturers. Sigma (majescule) has too many sharp corners...