Hard case options for a 19" bell compensating Besson Eb

The bulk of the musical talk
eaferreira
lurker
lurker

Hard case options for a 19" bell compensating Besson Eb

Post by eaferreira »

I recently purchased a BE 982 with a 19" bell in an old gig bag, and will be moving to Japan in a few short weeks. I need to ensure this thing survives the movers and subsequent shipment, and will also need something that I can transport in vehicles and trains once I am in Japan. I have a couple of basic questions, and would appreciate any and all input:

1) what hard cases accommodate the BE 982?
2) what universal flight cases can accommodate the BE 982?

I've done hours of digging, but it seems as though I have to choose between something with a big enough bell space, and something built for TA tubas. Nothing seems to have both. Ones that do aren't available in the short amount of time I need them in. I don't need necessarily need a flight case, but am open to it if it fits my modest budget.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

--Eric
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Hard case options for a 19" bell compensating Besson Eb

Post by imperialbari »

Maybe Wessex will sell you a case made for similarly shaped tubas.
cctubaneeds
bugler
bugler

Post by cctubaneeds »

I have a B&H 782, which as far as I can tell has the same dimensions.

The SKB 385 fits. There is lots of thick foam padding, which makes the case seem much larger than the horn.

You can search SKB here for what people say about them. Mine is "fine". I could complain about the handle hardware, but the wheels and latches are very good for me.
JP379CC
Boosey & Co Solbron Eb - 4v Comp
Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

Hello- The Besson case for the 981, 982 is an ABS case with wheels and is made by Jacob Winter in Germany. That is the OEM case and there is one at Buffet Crampon in Florida. This is not the cheapest way but for you I would consider it because it is made very well, and has the newer wider wheelbase. Also, it ships in a tuba size box (duh) which may be of interest, paticularly if you are going over seas. I have actually flown checking a Besson 995 case which is very similiar, but larger girth. PM me if you need more info.