Mouthpiece Hunting

The bulk of the musical talk
JoseU1
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece Hunting

Post by JoseU1 »

Hello, all.

I currently use a Denis Wick 2 mouthpiece for my C.G Conn 5J tuba.
I make it fit by using some layered tape as a wrapping.
I was thinking about upgrading to the 2L or the 2SL.
While surfing the web, I found manufacturers like Kanstul, Josef Klier, and Bruno Tilz.

The bore of my tuba is .658" according to C.G Conn's site.

I thinking about buying one of those with a gold rim, a Josef Klier T3-3A, or some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

My Applied Brass professor says that the sound I produce is even and that I sound perfectly fine with the current mouthpiece. I just want something that gives me the same evenness, allows me to project more easily, and makes it a bit easier to extend my range if possible.

I currently play in the Annandale Community College Symphonic Orchestra. I would like to make two tubas sound like 3 or 4; I think it would be pretty neat!

I think it would also be beneficial to know what mouthpiece(s) you all use. I'm actually rather curious to know!

Any opinion or piece of information regarding mouthpieces is appreciated, and any question is welcomed.

If you read through this, thank you for taking time out of your day to do so!

Have a fun, y'all!
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mouthpiece Hunting

Post by opus37 »

The 2L is the same mouthpiece you have with a larger shank. Although Bloke's solution is inexpensive, it is limiting. I'd suggest purchasing the 2L. We all use different mouthpieces. The choice includes the factors of personal characteristics, playing situation, horn and other whims. A mouthpiece safari is a long term, think life long, project that can be very expensive. By changing the receiver you greatly limit your options. A 2L is a good starting point for you because you know it works. Start your safari when you have lots of time and money.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

For sure, get a mouthpiece that fits your tuba. You can probably sell that 2 - might take a while as the tubas that it fits are rare here, but they exist and the mouthpieces are also rare.

At first, never having heard of Annandale, I supposed that you're in Europe, because the German mouthpiece makers you mention, but of course your list starts with Kanstul, and if I managed to hack my way through their terrible web site to the correct tuba mouthpiece page, it looks like they offer a couple of copies of Bach mouthpieces. That isn't a bad way to go, as the commonly copied mouthpieces are the ones that work for a lot of people (though on that score I'm not so sure about the 24AW.) You might look for Faxx mouthpieces - also German, coincidentally - a number of high quality copies.

It would be easier for me to agree with the above concern about a "safari" if I liked the Denis Wick 2L, but I don't - but I doubt anyone but me could tell the difference. If I had take someone's advice and played that for years for some reason, rather than try another mouthpiece, I'd have been really steamed with myself when I eventually found out how much better so many other mouthpieces are. Even if no one but me can tell. It's a gamble - the 2L really might turn out to be the thing you like the best, and the $55 spent on a Faxx (hornguys.com, consider Hb, Hb7b or 18) would be money down the drain. Your choice.
Sam Farris
lurker
lurker

Post by Sam Farris »

Casca Grossa wrote:Call Joe and buy a Blokepiece.
+1
MW 32 5v CC
Blokepiece symphony
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

I use one of Bloke's Imperials on my 3J and it works great. Phil
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Seriously? Someone with apparently very little experience with different mouthpieces and whose teacher doesn't seem to be really on board with buying a new mouthpiece, should upgrade from a wrong shank size DW 2 that seems to be the only mouthpiece he knows, to a $250 lifetime investment in stainless steel?

Whatever happened to "get a Kellyberg"? (Not a bad idea, plastic is fun and it's a relatively inexpensive experiment, I just tend to mention Faxx because they aren't a lot more and they're very nice.)
aludovico
lurker
lurker

Post by aludovico »

I'm with Donn on this one.

I'm perfectly happy playing a Kellyberg which is similar to my Stofer-Geib, which I love, but would never put on a marching horn, for fear of hearing it hit the concrete. =)
As for trying out something new, I have to go out to my local horn guy at Buckeye Brass, but he does not carry a ton of stuff either.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

There are several sources out there for British-American shank adapters, and these don't require permanent alterations of the horn or a new MP.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

aludovico wrote:I'm with Donn on this one.

I'm perfectly happy playing a Kellyberg which is similar to my Stofer-Geib, which I love, but would never put on a marching horn, for fear of hearing it hit the concrete. =)
As for trying out something new, I have to go out to my local horn guy at Buckeye Brass, but he does not carry a ton of stuff either.
Sorry for going off-topic from the OP, but I coincidentally literally just ordered a Kelly-50 ("custom" series plastic) for the same reason... I own and love my Stofer-Geib and I don't want to drop it! I went with the 50 (albeit more expensive) model because they specifically advertise it as being similar to the Geib: http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/km50/index.asp" target="_blank" target="_blank

Have you tried the 50, and if so, is it in fact more Geib-like than the Kellyburg? Otherwise, I guess I'm sucker who just spent $35 more for the same amount/similar shape of plastic (excuse me, "lexan")!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

GC wrote:There are several sources out there for British-American shank adapters, and these don't require permanent alterations of the horn or a new MP.
https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/acces ... e-adaptor/" target="_blank
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
TubaKen
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaKen »

"Annandale Community College" is also known as Northern Virginia Community College - Annandale. A quick web search turned up this Youtube of their orchestra playing a tuba (and piccolo) feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6KR4gJwZj4" target="_blank" target="_blank
I kind of think Bloke's solution of replacing the receiver makes the most sense, given that both he and his teacher like the Wick, and assuming he can find a tech to do the swap for a reasonable fee. Bigger isn't always better.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:most confident that Mr. Donn is completely versed in the subtleties of our various offerings
Indeed, I'm not even sure of the one thing I ventured to say about them. My opinion is not tainted by any experience, good or bad.