List of American-made CC tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: List of American-made CC tubas

Post by bort »

I seem to remember that the Dillon 6/4 was listed on the Dillon website, and it was abundantly clear that it was 100% made in America. Might be able to find it on the Internet Wayback machine?
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I believe there are only 4 (?) 1185''s out there. 2 in silver, 2 in lacquer, the one i saw was the last one in Silver, the owner of the horn built it, it was a piece of art, and after hearing a very prominent player play on it, I have no doubt that it is a very rare and special horn
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Bill Troiano is correct. King did make a piston valved CC tuba with .750" valve bore. Mark Jones briefly had one several years ago. I also had a stock 5 valved version that was gold plated. It was made for Fred Geib and used the Sander fingering system with the 4th valve operated by the right hand pinky finger being a downward major 3rd and the fifth valve operated by the left hand a downward perfect fourth. Valves 1, 2, 3 and 4 were front action. The fifth valve was just below valve 4 and stuck out the player's left side of the tuba. This was a GREAT tuba. I got it from Warren Deck. I believe that Mike Lynch now owns this tuba.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Randy, I have never heard of that tuba before, only the Conn Geib rotary tuba.

Do you have a photo of it you could share here (or email to me)?
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

King did make a piston valved CC tuba with .750" valve bore.
Indeed true. At least one King piston CC tuba was in my shop once upon a time. It's 4th valve was a 2&3 combination as was preferred by Fred Geib.

As for the Dillon DCB-1185 tuba, don't consider that an American made horn. It was only assembled in America with mostly European parts.

For you really geeky ones, Conn made a (as in 1) 3 valve top action CC tuba that comes in the shop every now and then. Yep, a 10J in CC.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.