gimmick tubas

The bulk of the musical talk

gimmick tubas

I own one.
18%
I own more than one.
8%
I don't own any, but would like to own one or more.
16%
I would never buy one.
22%
If given one, I would keep it.
25%
If given one, I would sell or re-gift it.
12%

Total votes: 77

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: gimmick tubas

Post by bort »

I would never buy one. I hope you don't think I own one (Joe the Rotax fan) :oops: :P
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

I like the Wessex jazz tuba - https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/tubas ... et="_blank because it looks like fun and somewhat practical.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I would for sure buy one. Fun for homecoming at the Old U, tuba Christmas.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

Funny timing. I just paid for one today. If it does what I want it to do, that's all that matters. If it doesn't, I'll send it back.

Anyone have one of those gimmick mouthpieces with screw-on rims?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

circusboy wrote:
Anyone have one of those gimmick mouthpieces with screw-on rims?
Hey now!! :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

I had one and sold it as I did not have a good use for it.
I am contemplating a visit to try one the new Bubbies.

Edited for autocorrect
Last edited by sousaphone68 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:They need cimbassos out in Colorado, you know..."
Hippies are turning them into bongs faster than Jinbao can make them!!

That's the word on the street anyway...

8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

bloke wrote: ----------------------------------------------------------
Over the years, I've owned several bass trombones and played them on a few gigs, and then sold them. Bass trombone technique development/maintenance is a TON of work (at least: for me). Euphonium...not so much. I would LIKE to be able to accept bass trombone gigs but
- (at least, around here) there are SEVERAL good bass trombonists, and several MORE good tenor/bass doublers
- I do NOT like "working on a stack of music for two hours each day for two weeks" to do an "A quality" job on a bass trombone gig - playing music that most any bass trombone player could show up and just read.

I don't really play at all anymore but I used to get a few solid paying gigs a year here in Chicago on the chainsaw. I'm comfortable with a slide and love playing the thing but my elbows and shoulders can't tolerate any real amount of time playing it anymore. I have a valved alternate JC built and I have a comp euph that I could use in the "Easter brass quintet cut down to a quartet gigs" I used to get but I'm not sure how well euph would be accepted in that scenario even though I think it's a great fit. What has been your experience playing euphonium on bass trombone gigs Joe?
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have a Bubbie 5 and I use it regularly. It's new design and it is easier to play than the original version. It definitely is not a do it all horn, but for practice, ease of transport and small venue situations, it is fun to have. I guess I could say I have more than one gimmick horn. I'm restoring a 1906 3/4 size York and have an 1893 helicon. I use the helicon for parades, tuba Christmas and as a teaching about tubas example. Don't know what I'll use the York for yet. I guess all these horns qualify me to be a wild and crazy guy.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

bloke wrote:bloke "currently, it's on its way to Colorado...loaned to a trusted friend. They need cimbassos out in Colorado, you know..."
Okay,Okay, Okay!!! Yes, (thank you Joe) it's on its way to Colorado to be joined with 2 other cimbassi for perhaps the most gimmicky of all events. This summer marks the 3rd season of the Cimbasso Trio from the Great Western Rocky Mountain Brass Band. (now in its 36th season).
In previous years we have performed "Ghost Riders in the Sky," "Ragtime Cowboy Joe," and this year "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," all with brass band accompaniment. Players have been Chuck Schulz, Steve Call and yours truly. This year Chris Viveo replaces Steve who recently suffered a nasty car accident.(Get well Steve) All three are JB Cimbassi in F and should blend quite nicely, that is if blend is actually possible. Never the less, the whole 'schtick' comes off with great audience appeal and a certain satisfaction in that we entertain "lovers of great music" with something truly unique.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I have my Dr.Suessaphone (pictured in my avatar) which is a frankentuba made from an Beuscher BBb which has a bell I got from some bloke....
it sits on a stewart stand in front of me so I do not have to hold it and I can adjust the height of it so I can play it sitting, standing or using a stool.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650