I need some advice/opinions on F and E-flat tubas.

The bulk of the musical talk
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Paul M wrote:Z-tuba,

Would I ever have a chance to even play an E-flat tuba in band? I don't know one director that'd ever let me play a smaller tuba when I have access to a C tuba. :)
Depends on the size of the band, and the size of the tuba section -- we (Kalamazoo Concert Band) have 1 Eb (Besson 983) out of 9 tubas, and I think it'd work well if we had 1/3 to 1/2 Eb and/or F tubas. The sound of the Eb "goes well" with the contrabasses, and bridges the "gap" between the contras and the euphs. 8)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Paul M wrote:... I'd love to play an E-flat in band though. That'd be a lot of fun.
Couldn't hurt to ask! :)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Steve Inman »

Next time you play a march, with music written for "Eb and BBb Basses", take the music up to the director and tell him you'd like to try it on Eb tuba. Play the upper divided notes and then just keep on doing this for all of your music. (Just "forget" to put it back down again ....)

Enjoy,
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
charlieJ
bugler
bugler

Post by charlieJ »

I have played Eb's for almost 40 years with an English brass band influenced leaning towards Bessons. I do all kinds of work exclusively with effers. I've played all the effers out there except the PT-22s. I recently played the MW 2141s at Balt Brass, as well as the Willson 3200 they have. I also went to Dillons and played Bessons and the MW 2040. I've played many others in the recent past.

I really like the Besson 983 sound but do not care for the valve reach ergonomics. Works for many, but not me. But I absolutely loved the MW 2040 at Dillons - it really resonates, is well centered and can blast when required! After spending a week on the east coast and playing about 20 horns, this one brought me in. It played better (for me) than the other effers, and it was also the cheapest at $4295 (amazing). As a 4-valve rotor it gets overlooked. Frankly, I was shocked by the abilities of this horn and the only reason it is not in my stable was that I went to the east coast on business, not to buy a horn (Darn it!).

Instruments are such personal decisions that if I was you, I'd throw a sleeping bag in the car, add a cooler with drinks and sandwiches, and hit the road. Go to the Tuba Exchange, Balt Brass, and Dillons. You can do this in a couple of days from Florida. Heck, add an extra day or two and hit the WWBW store. Play them all and have fun with it. The right instrument for you may be the totally wrong instrument for someone else. Play them all - the right one will sing to you! Fancy the chances of a Besson brass band effer player falling for a rotory German horn...

You are looking at a significant $$ investment so take the time and play them all - you have time before school starts again.

Best of luck!