no fiberglass sousaphones in marching bands anymore

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: no fiberglass sousaphones in marching bands anymore

Post by Three Valves »

They used to come in Blue!!

But I think California banned them, and the rest of the country soon followed.

Like raw eggs.

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The real reason: they aren't fiberglass anymore. The bells are plastic or resin. Truth in advertising.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

received this email today...
Greetings Educator,
We regret to inform you that we have discontinued our current line of fiberglass sousaphones, including the 36K, 36KW, 36KSP, 36KSPW, 2360W, 2360SPW, 2370, and 2370W models. We are also canceling all outstanding orders for any of these models. As you may be aware, we have had a series of unexpected and significant issues sourcing the fiberglass required to support this product line. These issues include our original supplier ceasing the production of fiberglass and the unsuccessful attempt to validate two alternative suppliers capable of meeting our quality and delivery standards. This announcement is difficult to deliver and we apologize for being unable to meet your needs; as well as the tremendous inconvenience this may cause for your programs.
Although we will no longer be manufacturing fiberglass sousaphones, we have brass models, both in lacquer and silver plate, under the legendary line of C.G. Conn and King. These American-manufactured products date back to the 1900's and have unmatched durability and versatility for the needs of our students, professionals, and universities. To view our current line of sousaphone products CLICK HERE.
Please know that providing the highest quality instrument and customer service experience is our top priority. We are here to answer any additional questions you may have and happy to talk through viable options for your next sousaphone purchase.
Sincerely,
John M. Stoner, Jr.
CEO & President
Conn-Selmer, Inc
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

They're claiming no-one can provide them with fiberglass? :roll:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

UncleBeer wrote:They're claiming no-one can provide them with fiberglass? :roll:
I will have to prove them wrong by adding fibreglass sousaphone to Wessex Tubas range 8)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Conn fiberglass Sousaphones are now considered "Vintage" instruments!? :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

So Conn-Selmer is dropping fiberglass sousas from their list? Well damn. Obviously because of lack of demand.

I recently played my old Selmer Signet sousa. Plays very well and is LIGHT :!:
It was (of course) an old school horn I bought/rescued some years ago. Fixed it up (epoxy, spray paint, laqcuer) bought new neck & bits for it and new bell screws. The pistons and slides are still in good condition with good compression; with only minimal denting on the upper 3rd slide loops. That valveset is made of thick metal.
It's kinda weird/funny that this white fiberglass sousa makes such a dark, haunting sound. Sometimes I'd think a ghost would come float out of the bell :lol: :P :tuba:
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

In the AF ceremonial brass we used fiberglass (except for televised gigs), and our folks still had back issues. I carried a 3 valve yamaha euphonium.

We were old enough to know better.

I don't think high school band directors always realize the physical harm they are causing students when they make them carry the heaviest equipment on one shoulder day in and day out. And those kids certainly don't realize that the difference in sound is nominal and will macho it out for the sake of the group.

I'm not talking about risk of harm. I think the harm is inevitable, it just happens at different times for different folks.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Guess it's back to regular glass Sousaphones now... :roll:
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

bloke wrote:
For quite a few years, band directors demand SEEEILVUR sousaphones :| , which - again - after a few years, are gray, black, and brown sousaphones with some epic dents (in expensive-to-repair areas) and many other poorly-repaired dents.

Can confirm, band teacher here who wanted SEEEILVER brass instruments.....10 years later they have nice silver/black/brown camo pattern. Not bad on dents though, my kids take care of stuff pretty well..expect the mellophones....
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: It's just not that difficult to repaint the bodies and bells...and today, there are some aerosol paints (if chosen carefully) which hold up for years and years.
Can you paint them silver??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote: It's just not that difficult to repaint the bodies and bells...and today, there are some aerosol paints (if chosen carefully) which hold up for years and years.
Can you paint them silver??
The Air Force band in DC years ago(maybe still) had a set of fiberglass sousaphones with silver plated valve sections and the body painted at an autobody shop to look like satin silver from five feet away.

I can't help but think a savvy band director could save funds by ordering this Jupiter:
http://www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-JSP1010-Qua ... 36173.wwbw
Silver bell and valve section.. fiberglass body. Spray paint the body titanium silver.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo ... ray-paint/

It would probably look good and sound fine enough for what it was used for and for the institutions that only buy new will save several grand per instrument.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

This is just a matter of taste, and everyone's is different, but for me, silver paint is fake in a way that looks extra cheap. The resemblance is more to silver finish on a sandblasted surface, isn't it? Not so much like common new silver finish today.

The best thing for paint is to avoid visible paint damage. Either by bonding the color to the material, or using a similar color to the material so chips and scratches aren't conspicuous.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:

None of our tastes are the same, but I....
...am happy mine happens to be fake and EXTRA cheap!!

:tuba:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:None of our tastes are the same, but I think a very dark-blue well-painted fiberglass body (satin paint: not flat / not gloss) might look good against a CHROME-plated (as with the early corps bugles) valveset.
I'd go along with that. Do you dislike high gloss finish per se, or is it a durability/maintenance issue?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Donn wrote:
bloke wrote:None of our tastes are the same, but I think a very dark-blue well-painted fiberglass body (satin paint: not flat / not gloss) might look good against a CHROME-plated (as with the early corps bugles) valveset.
I'd go along with that. Do you dislike high gloss finish per se, or is it a durability/maintenance issue?
Hi Gloss = Hi Class!!

flamingo19518
bugler
bugler

Post by flamingo19518 »

I guess one of the reasons is that they will shatter when below freezing and bumped, dropped or tripped over. I saw it first hand in the Macy's day parade. The band lined up behind us had it happen. Luckily, the US Army band had an extra brass one.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Three Valves wrote:
Hi Gloss = Hi Class!!

Now that's an idea. You could wrap a fiberglass sousa in a glossy chrome vinyl wrap and it would look bright silver! Wonder if anyone has vinyl wrapped a Sousa before?
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Since Conn selmer no longer makes fiberglass anymore I guess I need to actually get that 22K I've been wanting for years. You know since Conn fiberglass sousas are rare and vintage and all as of now.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

TUbajohn20J wrote:
Now that's an idea. You could wrap a fiberglass sousa in a glossy chrome vinyl wrap and it would look bright silver! Wonder if anyone has vinyl wrapped a Sousa before?
Plasti-dip... 8)